1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Aquatic Auctions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bela, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone had any experience with aquaticauctions.com? Their deals seem too good to be true. Whole rainbow acan colonies for under 100 bucks shipped?

http://www.aquaticauction.com/iSynApp/auctionDisplay.action?sid=151&auctionId=78334

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, if it's anything like any other auction site, you can't get a real idea for what things go for until you follow an auction or two from start to end. If it's like electronics on eBay, bid sniping happens in the final seconds of the auction and can double the price in 30 seconds or less. You might be able to get amazing deals; especially if it's a new site with a limited audience, but I would just sit back and watch for a while and see what things really sell for.

--AJ

3. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was more wondering if anyone has had any experiences with it, good or bad. Not worth my time seeing if I can get a great deal if people tell me it is a scam or something. Know what I mean? /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I am pretty sure they are RC sponsors. You can probably get some feed back there

5. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know a guy who has ordered several times from them and had positive things to say. They don't make money by selling high end corals but rather selling in high volume of imported corals.

6. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I believe Aquatic Auctions used to be called Zoanuts. I ordered from Zoanuts twice, and wasn't happy either time (second order was to use a shipping credit, because they wouldn't refund me the price of shipping from the first order which was delayed by USPS). If they are indeed the same people, expect the corals to look significantly different in your tank than they do in the photos on the website.

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  8. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Link didn't work

9. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I was in Omaha for the weekend a couple months ago and stopped by a guys place. He showed me a couple good online places and he said aquatic auctions was one of his favorite sites. He had a whole bunch of very nice acans and he had some bids going at that time. So I've heard nothing but good things so far. Also, as AJ said, that's not a very close estimate to the final price. Most of the bidding happens in the last few minutes...

10. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So two vote for good one vote for not. Maybe I'll try a colony or two and see how it goes.

11. rockinsmall

rockinsmall Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Adam.. u must have been to Matts house.. (Tootime) he buys a lot off of their with excellent results... i keep my eye on it as well...

12. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yup, his tank is incredible. He's got some very nice high end corals.

13. xmasia

xmasia Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    check rc they have a forum just for them its the first one in the sponsers forums.

14. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Went for $155 final price.

--AJ

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Had a buddy purchase a cpl of things from there. Pretty nice stuff and you CAN get a deal, but yeah theres sniping.

didnt know it used to be zoanuts, neato!

16. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I tried them last week. Bought a fairly nice acan colony at a decent price. It was well packaged & got there by 10am.

I have been watching it & there some good buys, but some stuff goes goofy high.

They have almost no guarantee so keep that in mind.