1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Aquarium Maintenance

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by Vijay, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Vijay

Vijay Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi Everyone,
    I am about ready to setup my next tank.  My wife told me I have to have some one else maintain the tank this time.  Anyone have any recommendation on maintenance companies?
    Haven't made the decision of what I am going to put in it, but its going to be a 150-220 gallon FOWLR or a seahorse tank
    Vijay

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

If you want to go with an LFS, then your best bets are probably Sea of Marvels in North Liberty or Pet's Playhouse in Cedar Rapids. I know that tank maintenance is a big part of Hung's business at SOM, but I don't know how much tank maintenance Pet's Playhouse does. Nick from Pet's Playhouse is a club member, so maybe he can provide more info.

Alternatively, I think there are 1 or 2 club members in the Cedar Rapids area that might do maintenance, but I'll let them speak up on their own if they are interested.

-JB

3. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    depends on how often you want maintenance done, hung on average comes once a month depending on service contract, as well as one of the smartest out there. i know most people that do maintenance and i would let some of them take my dog for a walk let alone take care of my TANK!!! by the way i am nick at pets playhouse and if any questions on people or company you heard of and want to know PERSONAL OPINION just drop me a pm

4. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'd just like to add that keeping seahorses is an art unto itself and that they require much more attention and maintainence that can be given monthly or even bimonthly.  Please don't attempt to keep seahorses unless you have done lots and lots of homework and can provide the right home and food for them. 

On the other hand, there are many many fish out there that would thrive and provide you much entertainment and joy.  Good luck in the future!!