1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

April Frag Swap...

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by ZLTFUL, Feb 14, 2008.

1. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ryan how are the flyers to be distributed? Has anyone apporached Adam (Adams Aquatics) or Scott (Iowa Pet foods) about putting these up?

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So it's free to the public and to us? Do we get into the zoo for free?

3. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Zoo admission is normal price but frag swap admission is free. And so is the cake.

4. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    That top poster is great. I wish I could be around to make it to the swap.

5. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love the 1st flyer (even though it doesn't have any coral on it)...but if it were me I would remove the "At the" after the time, i think people will realize that's the location.

Also since the flyers are sending everyone to our homepage perhaps we should have a picture of the flyer on the home page that's a link to a new page with more detailed info like zoo admission price, local hotels for out of towners, charge to be a seller, what types of refreshments will be provided, etc.

6. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what types of refreshments will be provided, etc.

Well cake....duh! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Joel- I'm doing it tonight, with my own two feet. And a car. Gas, pedals, pavement, etc. Am going to hit everywhere I can think of that has saltwater stuff, and a couple places at least that do not.

Phil- good idea but I'm not redoing the thing again. Everywhere the flyers have been posted online (except for here, evidently) I stated that the details would be up in a couple days. They will hopefully be up tonight.

You pay to get into the zoo. The zoo has been nice enough to extend to us the use of their facilities for free. We COULD have gotten free admission for everyone... for $500. Which makes it not free at all, really.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Correction. I'll probably go out this afternoon/evening. Distribution tomorrow. You doing anything tomorrow Phil?

9. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know if food/snacks are allowed in the frag swap area?

10. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By phishcrazee on 03/08/2008 10:38 AM
    Does anyone know if food/snacks are allowed in the frag swap area?

you mean besides cake?

I would guess so, but you'll have to wait for Ryan (Holl) to answer since he booked the space and hopefully confirmed we could have some snacks during the swap.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes. They also have a cafe in the same building as our swap.

12. cbort

cbort Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    hey i am new to the board and am planning on attending the frag swap! Do i just bring some frags? Also i do have some extra equipment i can bring to help with frag tanks. I have a 400W DE reefstar II pendant with 20k bulb and 70W 20" 14K sunpod. Just in case someone doesn't want to take apart their setups. Let me know! Thanks also anyone know the admission to the zoo?

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice to have you! This thread should answer most of your questions. I think most of the people bringing frags have enough equipment to get by, but you might post that in the other thread in case anybody bites. I don't know admission to the zoo, but the provided link to the zoo's site should have that available.

Look forward to seeing you there!

http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/site/Community/DiscussionForums/tabid/78/forumid/4/postid/8850/view/topic/Default.aspx

14. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sooooo, any new news about the frag swap? I'm wondering how many sellers will be there? Is there any sort of sign-up for selling or do sellers just show up if they want to sell? The thing is, I don't want to drag my family 2 hours away and possibly get a hotel room to stay overnight and then find out there was only 4 sellers there of coral I already have. Is there a way we can find this out?

Also, I was going to bring a few coral to sell/swap, but I don't think it's worth it to bring like 5 things and then pay $20 for a whole table, as I'd hardly break even. Is there a half-table option? Is there another thread somewhere about this that I'm missing?