1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

April Frag Swap...

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by ZLTFUL, Feb 14, 2008.

1. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ryan #1, Have you decided where we are going to have this?
    I was just thinking...we had a recent news article for company wide discounts for the Zoo and stuff...including behind the scenes stuff...made me think, why not Blank Park?
    Not sure what the requirements are for a location though...just throwing out thoughts.
    Ryan #3

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I called them earlier this week, actually. I actually got on the site today to post up regarding this same issue.

We need a place still. Hopefully somewhere that has food and drink, space for 60-70 people, doesn't mind us having water on the premises, and where people coming and going do not disturb people dining (another option I looked at won't work because of this.)

Anyone have any other ideas? I left a message that I'd get back with Blank Park tomorrow morning. That would be super cool, but in the meantime I'd like to solicit other ideas.

3. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Zoo would be cool. Did you get my pm Sholl on the acrylic?

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The Zoo would be cool! I also know the owner of the Down Under Bar and Grill in Clive. If you want I can ask her if she has any interest.

5. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have you already looked at Adventureland?  I have their packets from last year on all the different rooms they can set up and they seem to bend over backwards during the off season for business.  Plus it's nice and close so Ryan's cake would still be nice and warm[​IMG]

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wayne- sorry it was late when I could have called you back last night.

Joel- Sure, definitely talk to her and see if it would be a possibility.

I'll call (I assume Adventureland Inn?) and see what might be available and if they'd have food/drink available.

Thanks guys.

Oh, I called but didn't get in touch with the events lady at the zoo. All I can do is keep trying, huh?

7. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    OK, I talked to the owner of the Down Under in Clive. She doesn't think there will be a problem but is going to check with her manager and get back with me. I told her April 5th about 12-5. I don't think the times are that important to her though. I need to ask her to make sure the kitchen will be open.

8. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you guys for working on this! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif I am not from Des Moines so I don't have any connections or can help find suitable locations. I hope we can have it at the Down Under, that would be great!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Booked. Blank Park, overlooking their rainforest area. Ta-da!

10. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Woot! And that is right near the aquarium room and the fish tanks!

Plus plenty of room for cake...Oh it's on now...

Maybe see if we can get a behind the scenes look at their fish room for the big fish only tank? Would love to see what they have for a pretein skimmer with that many tangs.

11. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Awesome! I think that is the best place possible in Des Moines for the swap. Great Job Ryan! The Down Under has invited us to have an after swap party there. Well of course they have, they want to sell alcohol and food. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif
    Don't be shy about asking for more help. Like I said during the elections, I am here to back you up any way I can.

12. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice job Ryan, let me know if i can help.
    Wayne

13. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    what day is this?

14. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    we were going for sat april 5th, is that when you got it ryan?

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Reserved Saturday April 5th, 11am-4pm.

Joel, don't worry. I'll need your help at some point!

16. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I definitely think our March get together should happen 2 or 3 weeks prior to this weekend and should involve LOTS of planning for this event. Hopefully we can get just as many people to attend as the meeting in coralville, and I think if get together and think of some cool ideas it'll help draw people even if they have to drive from IC/Quad Cities.

Some things I'm thinkin
    - Group orders - for anything from livestock to dry goods.
    - Garage sale - I think that worked well at the last meeting, and people always have stuff they want to sell/give away.
    - Frag tank - this might be kinda difficult, but if we could get all the frags that people in the DM area are selling into a frag tank setup at the swap that would be pretty cool. That way people could actually see what the frags looked like instead of just looking at a brown something or other in a bag with a picture under it. Ryan Holl I know you've been looking for the perfect opportunity to get that 30B up and running, here it is!
    - CAKE!! - I'm not sure if club is giving us some money to rent the venue and provide snacks, but I'd be willing to throw in some $$ for refreshments.
    - We HAVE TO get JJ to attend, or at least arrange for a lot of his frags to be for sale at the swap. This is somewhat a selfish request because I plan on buying a lot of frags this day and I would like to have his inlcluded in my options...but he does have a lot of stuff, and selection is what frag swaps are all about! I'll PM him on RC to see if he's available that day.

and of course I'm down for an after swap party at down under or wherever!

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think group orders will happen whether or not we officially declare them. I also think that a garage sale table would be a nice addition, maybe someone from the DM area that is not selling frags would volunteer to man it? I think things may get cluttered if everyone has frags and equipment at the same table, and after having a sale at the last meeting I doubt there will be a ton of stuff up for grabs.

I like the idea of having a central frag tank, but the possibility of transferring any pests between corals with a setup like that really kills its appeal. But you can bet I'll have that breeder set up, under halides, and chock full of whatever I can cut up /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

18. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Good ideas Phil. Although I don't like the idea of a central tank. Ubber Frags brought in a big tank and put a ton of frags in them at the last swap. Personallyy I think they looked like s&^%. It was too stressful transferring them from individual bags into 100 gallons of fresh saltwater. I relly felt sorry for their clams. Don't get me wrong though, they had awesome stuff, I just don't think you could tell that day. Without a tank I actually think how Ryan H did it last time was about the best. Take good pictures and leave them in their own bags. Jeremy and Jason's small tank did look good though, so that may be a good way to go.

19. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I didn't think about pest transfer Ryan, that would definitely outweigh the ability to see the coral "in-tank"

Joel - I was thinking everyone would get their frags to whoever was going to have the frag tank setup a couple days prior to the swap so they would be settled into that tank and looking good for the day of the swap...but that's quite an undertaking I understand.

I think a garage sale table should be separate from the frag tables, and I think someone monitoring it would be good if for nothing else just knowing who was selling what if people have questions. I would volunteer but I'm gonna be too busy shopping for frags!! Maybe if we decide to have a dry goods table, we can require the seller to put their name on the price tag so its easier for perspective buyers to find them.

20. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Not to be argumentative .... but I think if people want to sell dry goods they could just have it out at their own table. That way no one has to man a seperate table. I plan to bring some stuff and I know that is what happened last swap.  Last swap we also had a table reserved for donations to the club and they were raffled off. I think that worked great, of course I won a thirty-five dollar gift certificate to Air Water and Ice that I just got my in-line TDS meter from.
    Getting frags to some one a few days early would work, but yes I don't know if Ryan wants to go through all that headache. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif