1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Apex Season Table???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by corey.nolta, Sep 25, 2016.

1. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    New to the apex system and I have a question for anyone familiar with the apex and the seasons table...What, if any, is the benefit of using the season table for lighting over dictating the times the lights are on/off? I have had a pretty simple and straight forward lighting schedule, but the more I read about apex stuff the more I come across the season table for a lighting schedule.
    What's your thoughts / opinions??

2. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    I've been using it ever since I got my Apex controller about 5 years ago. Not sure if there's any truth to it or not but I've heard it helps promote spawning cycles. The seasonal temp changes may also make it a little easier on your heater and/or chiller (and save you a little on utilities) if you let your house stay warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter.

3. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    According to the seasons table, sunset is 19:02....So lights out at 7pm? I don't even get home from work until 5:30, so that only gives me an hour and half of good tank viewing. Is that correct??

4. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    That's why I have never messed with the season table. Hardly any viewing time.
    I run my lights from 10a-10p.

5. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    I run on a shift off of the season table. I use the season table +180 minutes or something like that.

6. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    I've run my apex mainly based around the times I get up and should be going to bed. I prefer the almost 12 hour light cycle (ramp up and down) and that way I can enjoy the tank while I'm home. Otherwise I would go to work in the dark and eat dinner in the dark. I know other people who run their lights until 11pm (turn on at 9am or such) because they are up late all the time.

I think that's more preferable to a season table.