1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Apex EB832

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beckerj3, Nov 8, 2020.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    So I'm thinking its time to upgrade my Digital Aquatics controller to an Apex EL. Looking at the BRS site, I see that the EB 832 power strip that comes with the Apex EL has been getting really bad reviews - ports dying within one-two years. Does anyone have experience with the EB832? Reviews on the EB8 seem to be good.

2. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    I’ve got two dead ones that need to be sent in. Love the new apex and its capabilities with WiFi just think I shouldn’t have had issues so soon. Same for the Wav’s as well. Worked great until they didn’t. My two cents

Sent from my iPhone via App

3. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Do you have 2 entire EB832 energy bars dead or 2 dead ports on a single EB832 that are dead? How long have you used it before they died?
    @Roman@Roman

4. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    Two entire dead ones. They light up but can’t control any outlets. Both used for about year and a half. I’m not the only one either. Look on the other reef sites

Sent from my iPhone via App

5. Medic Wally

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    No experience with the new Apex, but my older model works pretty well with the classic EB8. I've really been intrigued by the Coralvue controller though. The price point is about the same as the ApexEL, with fewer outlets in the energy bar, but the capabilities available seem to be pretty legit. It shows promise to be a sound competitor with Apex.

6. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I’m thinking of going with the GHL ProfiLux 4, read a lot of bad about the the new apex EB832.

7. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    I've got a couple of the previous Apex and the only problem I've had was with display modules. I have 4 of them dead.
    I love to tinker and have seriously been looking at running Reef-pi on a Raspberry-pi.

8. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Thanks for everyone's responses. I'm still leaning to the Apex. In marketing terms, I'm not an early adopter - more of a late majority. So I like the Apex better for that reason.