1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

anyway to get tropical play sand in the QC?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jsprague, Jan 11, 2009.

1. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am helping my parents get into the hobby(72 bowfront) and would like to get the tropical play sand(southdown, oldcastle, or yardright is what ive heard works) to cut down on costs.  I would also like to deepen myown sandbed and also set up a nano soon.  I hear you can get argonite play sand for like $5 for a 50lb bag.  I was wondering if anyone in the qc knows how to obtain some.  My mom is going to talk to lowes monday and see if they will special order it.  If we have to order a whole pallet or something, I'll see if there is enough interest in the club to make it worth it.  Anyway if anyone knows where to get this cheap sand, or has any inexpensive liverock to sell please let me know. 

2. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I believe they shut down production of that sand completely a couple of years ago....maybe the whole quarry or something like that.

Good luck

eins

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I am looking for some too. I havent been able to find any dry reef sand

4. -=kevin=-

-=kevin=- Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it's been afew years but when home depot was just opening, they ordered some in from another store. ithink from wisconson, dells.
    hth
    -kevin

5. jsprague

jsprague

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lowes says it only carries quickrete now and they don't have argonite sand, so... time to try HD.  Hopefully they can import it from another store if they are still carrying it.  Will keep you informed...

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm thinking your not going to have much luck. That stuff has been out of production for several years and is highly sought after...

-JB