1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone want to trade anemone in IA City?

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by sang, Mar 31, 2009.

1. sang

sang Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I just stumbled on this site a couple nights ago and I can't believe how many people deal with SW locally.  I wish I would have found this a couple of weeks ago, it could have saved a couple anemones!  So I have an anemone problem.  I had (I believe this is the right name) a heteractis magnifica anemone.  I bought it about three years ago to give my clown a home.  It started to get rather large and a few months back it finally decided to split.....twice! I only have a biocube 29, so four anemones was a bit much.  I pulled the larger of the two out, but I couldn't get ahold of the person who wanted them, so they unfortunately died. I still have one more that I need to get rid of.  My tank is really lacking in diversity, having just mushrooms, pipe organs, candy canes, and zoos.  I would really like to trade my smaller anemone for some frags.  I still have stock lighting so the frags can't be greedy.  I also need to get rid of some of these mushrooms if anyone is interested, I have never fragged anything (I was going to start with these) so removing them my require help. I have some pictures but don't know how to upload yet.  Thanks

2. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    p/m sent

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you happen to have pictures? If it you do have an H. Magnifica, congrats on the split and I hope you realize how rare it is to have healthy H. Mags and have them split. Hopefully, whoever ends up with your split realizes that they generally require special care, an established tank, tons of light and tons of flow.
    Good luck.

4. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pics would be nice. If your tank does have low light, I'd be surprised if it was an H. Magnifica. I've heard no less than metal halides for those guys, and then it's still a crap shoot if they'll survive for more than a year.

5. sang

sang Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do have some pics but I don't know how to load them.  I will send you a couple in a pm and you can help me identify.  I am at work so I will not be able to send pics or reply to people until I get home in a couple of hours. I didn't realize that these were in very high demand, now I feel twice as bad for having to sacrifice the two bigger ones a couple of weeks ago.

6. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To upload them you need to use the sight Photobucket .com to upload any pics
    you go to that site upload it there and it will give you a code and you can post it in a reply on your threads

7. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think healthy ones are in high demand because they're pretty hard to keep.

8. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Did you get this local? I'm thinking they just gave you the wrong name or the store really made a bad mistake. These are super hard to keep and really expensive. Best of luck if it is a mag and put me in line for one

9. sang

sang Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]Okay so here it is.  If this is something else than please let me know.  I looked around on the internet today and it does look just like the H. Magnificus.  There are two in my tank (sorry my tank is a little dirty... school midterms = tank neglect).  The two that I removed were nearly double the size of the larger one in my tank.  When it was a single anemone it took up nearly the entire top quarter of the tank.  When I purchased it about two and a half to three years ago it was smaller than the small one in this picture, so it has done pretty well for itself.  When it is stressed or being fed it will completely close up on itself into a ball.  Let me know if this is what it is.  You will see my need for diversity, as this is almost overrun by mushrooms.  The pipe organ is growing out into the void of space.  You can also see the two candycanes that are constantly being stung by the anemones (as well as the zoos that are behind the anemone at the top of the tank).  [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    By the way, thanks to llebcire, the picture tutorial rocked!

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very nice. If I were to guess, I would guess it was ritteri. but good thing I don't get paid to make guesses like this. The tips of the tentacles look like what many "experts" have identified as a ritteri and the fact that it is sitting smack dab on top of your rock pile is another sign. The little one in the last pic with the foot underneath is puzzling though. Where is the foot planted on the one on top? This looks nothing like my ritteri which has the classic purple foot but does like like other examples of them. But, I am by no means an expert...

11. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    don't know what it is but it's pretty. PM me with a list of corals your looking for or a price and I'll take it

12. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks like a ritteri to me too. Let me know if you'd like to stop by and see what I have.
    Where'd you get it originally? I haven't seen one in the IC/Cedar Rapids area.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And by the way, sorry to hear about the other two[​IMG].  While creatures dying is never a cool thing, it is really tragic when you are talking about two captive-raised H. Mags given their dismal survival record in captivity.

14. sang

sang Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

BTW I picked this up from Aquatic Environments. It was small, pink, and cute so I talked the girlfriend into letting me buy it.

15. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    PM replied

16. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    P/M replied