1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone want to order livestock with me?

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Philby, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So do I, I wish i could get my sps to grow that fast, it would be frag central..

2. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if possible, brad would like to add 50 astrae and 50 cerith snails to his order. or however many they have if they don't have that many.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Reminder: I need all orders or order changes put in by tomorrow afternoon. Brad's change is noted. Ryan, need a count. Anyone else, still time to tack some stuff on. I'm calling to change stuff around first thing in the morning on the 26th, and I work early and can't guarantee I'll be able to check back that morning.

4. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    (He means Nielsen...;-))

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok. All done. Sorry Ryan as I never heard from you.

6. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sweet. I can't wait.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aside from my Achilles tang being a huge dick to the copperband, all is well.

8. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Same here, everything looks good minus 1 crab. Compliments of my lion.Thanks again Ryan

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oops. I shoulda seen that coming.

10. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My shrimp didn't make it - I think drip acclimating them in my living room was a bad idea (the water was quite cold). 1 of them was acting strange immediately on introduction to the tank, the other one seemed fine but disappeared by the time I got back from lunch so I'm not sure what happened.

Looks like I'll be getting some more shrimp when I order fish next /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

my snails are all doing great!

11. Rachael

Rachael Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think Ryan might be making a call to BlueZoo Monday about losses - I'm on the verge of losing my copperband, but not because of bad shipping or a bad fish, my yellow tang is not at all fond of the butterfly and he's beating the garbage out of him. So the Copperband has been deemed Master of the Refugium for the time being, who would have guessed that the vapid Yellow Tang would actually be a complete Dbag?

How is yours faring with your yellows, Wayne? And have you gotten him to eat any prepared foods? Both mine and Ryan's get excited when it's dumped in, but seem completely confused and don't actually try to eat any of it, luckily we both have a mess of pods and we're growing out some brine - let me know if anything has worked for you so far, I'm curious.

Happy New Year in advance, guys, have an awesome one

Rachael

12. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rachel , i lost my copperband yesterday due to powerhead, i think next time i will order a medium one, the yellow tangs all swim together and even let the copperband swim with them too. As far as feeding goes i have had nothing eat. I tried everything, only thing they have touched is hair algae. Have a safe New Years Eve too.....

13. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If Ryan does call - Brad did lose 1 clown, but I think he was going to PM Ryan so maybe he already knows.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Brad lost 3 clowns. I lost 3 out of my four firefish (the three small ones, you might remember phil). I emailed them about replacing on the next order and got a "sure, just send a picture of each dead fish and we'll credit you." I'm going to re-email and let them know that I will not be ordering from them ever again, and will stress the high casualty rate to everyone I speak to, if nothing better can be worked out.

15. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow - disregard my statement on RC then (I'll go over there and change it or at least repost). I thought the 7 casualties included my 2 shrimp (which maybe didn't have anything to do with acclimating in light of these other losses), and wayne's CBB that he lost to a PH and his crab that the lion ate.

And I'm not claiming that I necessarily agree with BlueZoo's guarantee policy (compared to someone like Live Aquaria who I've heard you just call and they credit you) but the first thing it says on their guarantee page is not to discard the dead livestock or it voids their guarantee...so if you've already tossed it and can't get a picture then you might be screwed and not ever do business with them again...

I threw away my dead shrimp (the body I could find anyway, still don't know what happened to the other one) knowing I wasn't going to try to get it replaced...

Regardless good luck getting credited for these - and if you are going to do another order with them let me know cause I'd like to replace the shrimp I lost (figure out a way to heat the bucket/water I'm drip acclimating them in), maybe get some more snails and hopefully get a fish.

16. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Was Ryan going to call them or not? It doesn't matter, i dont know if the CB was dying or what i just found him sucked against it. I think all of my fish were healthy, i think the CB was to small for my tank. But if they want to credit us then perfect.

17. Rachael

Rachael Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think I have to second Phil about the guarantee thing....it does say that, it's really our own fault for not having read the "rules". I lost a cucumber for really no reason at all -- and from what I've heard almost all the casualties have happened because of a toss-up between weak stock and (our own) poor handling, I'll suck up the money lost on the cucumber and chalk it up to not having read the guarantee. If they choose to give in and credit the stock, so be it, but I don't think they owe it to us and I certainly don't think we should bad mouth them, at least not from our experience to this point.

That said, maybe LA is a better bet just because we have heard/have had better experience on all fronts with them. Though, boy, their prices are steep compared. And now we know the guarantee...

PS Phil - If your water params are good and you don't keep your salinity abnormally high/low, maybe just temp acclimate the shrimp and dump 'em in, that's what I've always done and the two I got from bluezoo are still kickin.....speaking of.....

Ryan #3, did your skunk shrimp out of my refugium make it? He looked great when I bagged him, but I can't help but think that being acclimated twice in two days might do in the best of them...?

18. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will definitely do that next time with my shrimp. And if anyone wants snails I would recommend bluezoo. Shipped them well, very cheap, and all mine doing great!

I just wish we had a LFS around here that had decent fish. Adam's is ok (decent selection and prices for decent fish), and Iowa Seascapes just never has anything I want...

anyway, when are we getting together next?