1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone want to order livestock with me?

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Philby, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone else need to order livestock online and want to split the shipping?
    I've got the week between christmas and new years off so I was planning on putting an order in sometime next week to hopefully be delivered the 27th or 28th. I don't care where it gets delivered but I'm off so I'd be able to accept the shipment.
    I don't really care where we order from - but would prefer liveaquaria. I've also heard good things about bluezooaquatics and saltwaterfish. However I'm only getting snails, a skunk cleaner shrimp, and a blenny (probably tailspot) so pretty much any site is going to have what I need if you are looking for something that's only at 1 site or out of stock at liveaquaria etc.
    The shipment doesn't have to be that week, I could also take a 1/2 day next week if that works out better and someone else could accept the shipment (and you don't mind floating my bags until I can come pick them up).
    Just reply to this thread if you're interested and we'll work out the details.

2. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Phil, that sounds good, i wanted to get a purple tang and 2 yellows but i can't find anywhere except ebay that has the purple tang. Let me do some searching from Live aquaria or maybe i will call them and see when they are expecting anymore and get back with you.. wayne

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The fish I would like to get a bunch of is currently on "super special" at liveaquaria. Anyone interested in an order sooner than later?

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh, if the sale's off by the time we order then saltwaterfish.com will be a much better buy, imo. I need snails as well and inverts will be cheaper from there.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also Rachael wants a cleaner shrimp, which is also on special right now at LA.

6. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've got no problem ordering sooner, and I'm probably taking next tuesday off work to get some xmas shopping done anyway - so that day would work for me (and I've got lunch breaks the other 2 days so I could head home for a bit to acclimate if tuesday doesnt work for everyone).
    I want to get the same shrimp as rachel - so it works for me to order while it's still on sale, and Wayne Yellow Tangs are on sale at LA right now so if you get some good news on the purple tang when you talk to them I'm fine with ordering right now.
    As this is my first online order - how does the shipping work? If we order today do they ship in the evening and we get it tomorrow? or can we tell them to hold off a couple days?
    Ryan what's your schedule like tommorrow/friday/mon/tues? you off during the day to get a shipment?
    *edit* - I also have no problem with swfish.com if we want to get from there - except for they are completely out of stock of all blennies - but that may change if we don't end up ordering for a couple days. However LA is also out of tail spot blennies right now so...

7. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What cleaner shrimp that is currently sale has caught your eyes? I need some snails and could use another interesting shrimp since my peppermint doesn't come out to play very often...

8. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's just a skunk cleaner shrimp - http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=696

but they have other more interesting ones if that's what you're looking for (like coral banded and fire shrimp)

9. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Phil, I checked live aquaria right now and I changed my mind to 1 Copperband butterfly and 3 yellow tangs. Let me know when you want to order..I'm unsure of how we're going to divide the shipping as my total is 104.99 plus s/h. Let me know..Wayne

10. Rachael

Rachael Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Phil, if Ryan isn't home those days (I don't even know if HE knows his schedule yet) I will be, so I could accept a shipment and float stuff til everyone can come get stuff. A forewarning though, if they look like they could be batter dipped and deep fried or covered in chocolate, I WILL eat them. Speaking of food -- those skunk cleaners are cool as hell, they breed *really* regularly and though the larvae are near impossible to raise, they make great fish food -- get a couple!

And darn you Wayne for mentioning those copperbands! I want one so bad, but I need one about as much as I need a hole in the head. Phil, I'll let you know if I give in 24 hours before you make the order....keep me posted :-(

As for shipping, I see no problem with dividing it evenly, I think it goes up by price grouping and if we all get what we're talking about, it seems like we'll be in the $225 and up group and that makes shipping about 40 bucks split between the ~four houses -- if it sounds ok to everyone?

11. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That sounds wonderful to me. Keep us posted Phil as whats going on. I can pm you my cell # and home # . Can you merry X-MAS to me.............
    wayne

12. Rachael

Rachael Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oh my....check the prices on Bluezoo.....it's definitely worth a serious look....

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    With what we're all getting, or were going to get, I think bluezoo is the best way to go. I'm the only person that won't really get what I wanted, but that's ok as I wasn't set in concrete and their prices are great on most everything.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    and since I didn't check before, right now they DO have everything in stock that we all want. I'm all for doing this ASAP. What does everyone else think?
    When we decide on a date to do this, we should run it by the RC crowd as well.
    Shipment can be made on any day, as I can be around to receive everything.
    For anyone that hasn't looked, prices:
    Astreas $.48
    Ceriths $.48
    Copperbands $13.97
    Firefish $11
    Scarlet cleaner shrimp $8.48
    Sorry, I have no patience whatsoever!

15. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm fine with placing an order today to be received tomorrow or Tuesday (if we did tuesday we could wait til this weekend to order if everyone wasn't ready). I'll do some looking at bluezoo today and then I'm gonna start calling people - so make sure you know what you want!

Wayne PM me your #

16. ZLTFUL

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Let me know Phil...I could definitely use snails and maybe a couple of them there shrimp thingies. Mmmm Mmmm Somen noodle with chicken and shrimp...
    Wanna do Zen on Friday Phil? Hehe.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Let's do that. Place it Sunday night for Tuesday arrival. Do you want to do the ordering, Phil, or shall I? We've got lots and lots of room to float stuff.

18. ZLTFUL

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wish i had my sump set up too...I would pick up a big ball of chaeto from Ryan as well....

19. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok - I'm ready to order whenever - and I agree that we should go with bluezoo...but they don't have either blenny I want so I'm gonna email them on availability to see if they'll be getting anything in between now and when they'd be packaging our order. Wayne I'll check on their purple tang availability too if you change your mind back to that from the CBB.

Looking at their shipping chart it look like the earliest we'll be able to get a shipment is Tuesday even if we order today...so I will get everyone's orders together and place the order tomorrow or Saturday.

So far we've got
    ZLTFUL - snails and skunk shrimp $15-20
    Ryansholl - snails and firefish @$50 (not sure how many firefish/snails you need)
    Rachel (i'm not even going to attempt your screenname) - 2 skunk cleaner shrimp? $20
    Wayne - 3 yellow tangs and a CBB (or maybe a purple tang) - @$100
    Phil - snails, 2 skunk cleaners and a blenny $50-60

The reason I posted prices is because they said they can usually fit $300 in 1 box and if there's more it's $15/box. Looks like we're getting close to that mark. I'll go ahead and post it on RC though because $15/box is cheaper than repaying for separate shipping!

Ryan H - I don't care who orders - but we should get it delivered to your place since you do have a ridiculous amount of space to float stuff.

Ryan W - sounds like a weekend project to me! get your sump in place and then you can pick up some chaeto with your snails/shrimp!

20. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was looking at their website and found the redirect people looking for clams to clamsdirect.com. Can we add clams to the order or are they shipped from a different location?