1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone want to help out our NEW LFS?

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by Waverz, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I went down to the old Emporium Pets and talked with the new owner last night.  It seems like she has some good intentions on getting the SW Dept. up to par but it's going to take a little time as she needs to get the business running better first.  Her first plan of attack is to get the store cleaned up along with the smell which i think is a great start.  I told her that it might be possible for some GIRS members to come down and give her a hand.  Basically we would help do some cleaning, moving, and painting.  I need to get back to her on this ASAP, but i think if we want to be able to have a store we need to do our part in helping out to get it going.
    Please post here if you are interested in coming to work and i will post more details as i get them.
    Jeremy

2. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sounds like a good idea,i'm in.

3. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    depending on when i'd be down for helping out

4. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow....I know its not my area but what a great idea Jeremy!!

Talk about building a working relationship and getting off on the right foot with a new and probably overwhelmed owner.

while there working, im sure she would like to hear what the hard core hobbyists would like to see in a good SW department.

eins

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I have a hellish schedule but I could donate an evening here & there

6. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am in, I just hope they let me back in :)

7. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would help, like jason said depends on the day though. Maybe if its a sunday afternoon or something.

8. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When I drove by I thought I noticed they were clearing stuff out and had fans running. I'm glad her priorities are getting the stench out.

9. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    She showed me where the smell was coming from, it's the animals waaay in the back, i was pretty grossed out when i saw it, i could barely look at it, and then theres the 1000 lbs of dogfood which doesn't help. The plan is to move the dog food to the back, the counter is getting moved to the front of the store and the dogs are going somewhere else, not sure where shes putting them.

I'm wondering if an Ozone system would help things along with the smell, i think its gonna take more than fans and some bleach to get it totally gone.

10. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Like I said in the other thread, I am game. It just depends on when it would be.

11. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yup, Im in.

12. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    If you all are going to work for free, I know where there is a nice comercial building for sale pretty cheap.[​IMG]

13. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    id be willing to help.  just let me know when and I will let you know if that works out for me.

14. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    First thing we should do is invite her on the tank tour then send her on a road trip to see Hung's and AE to get a good idea of what we would like to see in our area.

15. DavidM199

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that is a good idea travis

Jeremy would you be able to call her and invite her on the tour, so she can she why we need a good store around here

16. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty sure she is waaaaay to busy to come on our tour, we could however make it a stop on the tour and give her some input on what we would like to see happen with the SW Dept.
    Like i said in the previous thread, things will be happening very slow because of funds, we will just have to be patient. In the mean time let's atleast help her get things cleaned up so she can start fresh.

I will give her a call tonight and see when she would like us to come.

17. DavidM199

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks j

is she one of the old employees or is she an outside buyer

18. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By davidm199 on 10/22/2008 05:45 PM
    thanks j
    is she one of the old employees or is she an outside buyer
    HA, still afraid you will never be let back in aren't you??? [​IMG][​IMG]

19. DavidM199

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    na, just wondering,
    If they dont want me back it would not hurt my feels, I would just take my business somewhere where it is wanted