1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone want a Turtle?????

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Phathead, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a alligator snapping turtle I am desperatley trying to get rid of.  My girlfriend saved him last summer working construction where they were building a bridge.  She brought it home and I have been trying to get her to let it go but it doesnt go for live food like I see in video on youtube so I dont want to release the little guy and have him not make it.  I have been trying for a little while now but no museums or aquariums want him.  If you or anyone you know who would be intrerested in this guy please let me know.  These turltes are the largest of the snapping turlte getting over 250 pounds.  I am not going to lie he is a snapping turlte that is all he does is snap.  Trust me he will bite you if you let him.  He is only about 6 inches long and maybe 8-10 pounds right now and they grow really slow.  He needs a larger home than I am willing to give hopefuly someone else out there will.  He is also considered endangered in some states and is considered vulnerable in all states.  So why I am having troubles finding him a home im not sure.  If you wanna see some pics or vids let me know I can probably post some feeding vids which can be neat to watch.  I dont want anything for the turtle just want to see him in a good home.  PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

2. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Try not feeding him for a week or two then try and feed him some gold fish or night crawlers if he is hungry he will eat them.The hard part will be geting your girl friend not to feed him lol. The best thing is to get him feeding right and let him go.Hope this advise helps.

-Bill

3. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hey one of my professors mastered in some kind of turtle ecology and he has about 30 different kinds right now. I'll talk to him today and let you know what he says about it. I'm sure he would be excited for it. He would be a VERY good owner for it. I'll get back to you on this Chris.

4. Phathead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the help. Alittle confusion on his eating. He eats fish and worms easily but he stalks them and snaps. When I watch all the other video's they are suppose to sit there and stick there tongue out like a fishing lure and wait for the fish to come to them. It may be he doesnt do this because he is in a 40 breeder and the fish dont have many hiding spots so he can chase them down, In the wild the fish could simply swim far away.

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think he'd be fine if you let him go. He'd figure it out. Plus, he's a reptile, they can go weeks without eating :)

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I found one in the middle of the road last year, they must be getting more common. I thought I'd be a gentlemen and help her...man, they do NOT like to be helped across the road! I'd bet that it would use the lure if it had to. If you think about it, would you use a lure to get fish if you had the option of just grabbing them?

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I always tried to help the box turtles across the road when I would see them, but left the snappers alone. But I don't see box turtles here in IA, mainly in Missouri.

--AJ

8. Phathead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    She found the turtle in. I would leave them alone to but for some reason I found one of those people who have the dier need to help every animal that could be in distress I cant tell you how many time I have had to tell her no to cats, dogs, bunnies frogs you name it I ve had to deal with it LOL. In this case though were they were working were boulders very large and large machinery, were any animal that stood in it's way would surely die that had earlier that day killed two other snappers and a cat from rocks falling. So of course when she seen this turtle she just had to save it. Oh yeah she came home and showed it to me with her hand held out and this little 2 inch snapper that looked at me like I was a steak and said her famous words "can we keep it." And here we are today trying to get rid of it 1 1/2 years kater.LOL

9. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They are really cute when they're little.

10. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    LoL that's funny my mom is the same way drives my dad nuts.Last year she bottle fed two raccoons and a squral.Friend of mine shoot the mother hunting and then found babys my mom took them and raised them then let them go.Squriell was in a nest when the tree got cut down and my mom bottle fed it tell it was old enough to let go.Growing up she has raised evry critter from a baby mouse to a ground hog!

-Bill

11. Phathead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    that is hilarious I think you just might be predicting my future GREAT LOL!!!!

12. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    LOL yea good luck.
    -Bill

13. ozymandias

ozymandias Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Phathead,

Sounds normal to me (and I have been keeping gator snappers for close to 10 years). They tend to do the 'lay in wait' thing when they get bigger -- much bigger. I have never seen my little one do that.

Last time I got rid of one a personal friend at the Iowa DNR took it. A week later, I had a baby given to me by the same guy to raise for a few years ;-)