1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone wanna go fishin`?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waverz, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have a Powder Brown Tang that has to go into "time-out".  The only way to get him out without tearing the tank apart is a trap so i decided to try and build one.  Basically its just an acrylic boc with a trap door and a feeder tube.  I may even put some suction cups on it so i can mount to the inside of the tank wall.  Here's how it works, i put the whole thing in my tank, when i feed my fish i will start feeding through the feeder tube, they will have no choice but to go after the food eventually, once the desired fish is in the trap i let go of the fishing line that's tied to the trap door and whaa laa!  One trapped fish!
    Here's a pic, i don't really have much experience with acrylic so it turned out a little sloppy, plus i wasn't really building it for looks, it just needed to be functional.
    [​IMG]

2. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    that is cool, and i think it was built very nice good luck fishing

3. champ23

champ23 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ...thats bigger than my tank.lol. but i like it!

4. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I was hoping someone actually wanted to go fishing because I was down. Good luck catching the Tang! What did he do to deserve a time out?

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks pretty darn nice for being built for functionality and not looks..heck, about the only other thing that you could have done is polished the edges and put a motion sensing trap door on it.. lol.  In all seriousness, it looks like it should do the trick.
    Does the door close fast enough on its own when you release the string or have you considered weighing it down a bit to make it close faster?
    --AJ

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the comps guys, i think the door will close fast enough, it fits very loose and there is lots of play in it, i am waiting to let it dry overnight before i tank test it. I have seen other fish traps and they didn't have weighted doors but then again they were glass not acrylic. We'll see how it works tomorrow.

7. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks good Jeremy - good luck!

8. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    a friend of mine a few years ago,caught his pretty much the same way you are trying and it took two days. he said he just used a clear container and put the food in it and after a few tries,bingo he got it. nice build on your trap,i may need to try something like that to catch a neon dottyback that is a thug in my tank. goodluck fishing!!!!!

9. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    look sweet Jeremy, good luck fishing. normally i'd say the last thing i caught was a bunch or northern and large mouth bass, but in this context the last ting i caught was a hepa tang, and it resulted in my reef having a lot less LR in it.

10. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I thought you were going to try the old barbless hook trick that I've heard about.
    Damn thats nice. Did you get that acrylic local? Maybe next you start building a fishtank.
    As far as fishing goes, I dont think I can top what I pulled off earlier this year.
    [​IMG]

11. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I bet you catch it right away

12. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'm not surprised it was the powder brown tang. Mine used to put the beat down on the larger hippo tang in my tank.

13. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    BTW that is a sweet picture! It looks like an advertisement, or an outdoors magazine cover.

14. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well the trap has been in the tank for about an hour the fish are pretty freaked out with it being in the tank but i have had a few anthias swim in to get some food. I think it will take a few days before the tang is hungry enough to go in, but he will, just a matter of time. The trapdoor is pretty slow, i am thinking i might cut a piece of glass to use instead of the acrylic, or not, depends on how bored it get.

15. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I'd bait it like we talked about on the tank tour. Put your new fish in the trap and let him come after it to kick the crap out of him and BAM then you'll get him! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif Please Video that if you do decide to do it that way! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

16. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Day 2, put some food in the trap, tons of other fish swam right in to
    get the food but the tang was still pretty leary of it.  He stuck his
    nose in a few times, then half his body, took a few laps around the
    tank and decided to "go for it" he swam in, i let the door fall and he
    was TRAPPED!  Trapping fish IMO is the easiest and best way to get fish
    out of fully stocked tank, i don't think there is any other reasonable
    way to have gotten this guy out.  I'm heading down to BoBo's tomorrow
    to pick up a Copperband Butterfly and the tang is going back to his
    original owner.  Your welcome Mr. Glaspie.  /Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/trapped.jpg

17. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

18. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Dang man good work! I can't believe you caught him that quick! That fish has been in a lot of different tanks. He's a pretty one but a mean bastard! .

19. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys! That was pretty fun, if anyone ever needs to borrow a fish trap let me know, it's big but seems to be very effective.

20. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is a gorgeous fish! Too bad he's a bastard.