1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone using only T5`s for sps? Curious as to which bulbs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eric, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Been running T5's for a few months now and still seem to be lacking in some colors on my SPS.
    Have the original (Chinese) 10k's and 460 actinics...just ordered ATI Blue Plus and UV(URI) 75.25 to replace one of each.  Depending on the coloration, I may order more or possibly different styles.  Nice thing about T5's is that you can mix and match bulbs...would look kinda funny doing that with halides.
    Almost went with a KZ Fiji Purple but too many of the tanks I saw with them looked pink.  Supposed to be a great bulb, but it can be overpowering and is best mixed with 5+ other bulbs.
    Don't really remember very many people locally running T5's without halides.  I ran halides and PC's for years before this last tank.
    Some quik, crappy, out of focus, un-touched pics of a dirty tank and the original/current lights...don't be too critical as I've been waiting for the tank to mature b4 re-aquascaping and adding more corals...
    All
    [​IMG]
    Actinic
    [​IMG]
    10 K's (kinda seem yellow to me)
    [​IMG]

2. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    I have an aquatonic `solar flare 6 x t5. I like it so far.

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hey Eric,

I run a combo of T-5 only. My colors are finally starting to really show. I think there is an acclimation period. Some of the SPS I bought at the spring swap have just really started coloring up in the last month.

I use a wide spectrum of colors. I have a couple of 3000k for growth, alot of blue plus & 75/25. I dont even use antinics, just the blue plus.

You cant have too many 3k or it makes it look really yellow.

Check the t-5 bulb page on Reefgeek. He has the spectrum for each bulb, it is really helpfull.

GL
    Craig

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    In my new frag tank I'm going to run a 6K, 2x10K and an actinic. Hopefully that will be a decent combination for growth and color.