1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone use seachem Mg tests?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waverz, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I bought the kit that tests for Mg, Alk, and Borate, well i ahve only used it once to test Mg and well....i pretty much hate it.  It's sort of like Salifert, which i really liked but it only tests up to 1250ppm then you have to re-load teh syringe and keep adding drops till the sample turns blue.  Long story short, i guess if add a whole syringe full of the solution and it's not blue im "in good levels" if it turns blue before i run out of solution in the syringe, i "need to dose".
    Uhg.....for $30 i was hoping for a better kit.  Should have waited for the Elos.

2. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can't say I like any of the test kits I've tried so far.  None of them are easy and foolproof. 

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use the same, and have to wonder what's the real problem with reloading the syringe? My salifert tests I had to reload the syringe... do you not trust the value you get out of the tests?

4. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I use the same kit too. Mag test will never be easy as they will have multiple steps to titrate the carbonate alkalinity out of the sample. Mag test will never be short.

I like the kit. I like the case with the foam insert it makes it easier to keep track everything. Might sound petty but 6 month after you get a kit and you can't find all the pieces it matters.

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Posted By covey on 12/21/2007 4:29 PM
    I use the same kit too. Mag test will never be easy as they will have multiple steps to titrate the carbonate alkalinity out of the sample. Mag test will never be short.

I like the kit. I like the case with the foam insert it makes it easier to keep track everything. Might sound petty but 6 month after you get a kit and you can't find all the pieces it matters.
    I dunno i still perfer the Salifert, I always keep all my tests in the boxes they come with, never had a problem loosing stuff.  I dunno, its not that bad i just don;t like the fact you have to run stuff through a filter then add an entire syringe worth of titrate, then re-load the syringe to get the results if they are above 1250.

6. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I see your point because more times than not, you're going to be reading around 1250ppm-1350ppm(at least you hope). So the test kit works ok then? It's just the fact that you don't want to reload the syringe? I could live with it, as long as the kit is accurate.

I find the Salifert and Elos kits to be very easy to use and similar in testing procedures. The only reason why I like the Elos kit better is the color change is more evident. Sometimes it's hard for me to tell with the Salifert when it changes to gray.

7. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's the kit I use...maybe now you understand why I hate testing Mg! I think it's a fairly accurate test, there are just a lot of steps.

8. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    anyone done the red sea mag test?

its kinda confusing, i think im doin it right but at the end of the test you have a syringe thats 1 ml at the start and you keep adding drops till the vial turns blue.

kinda looks like this

1.0--
    0.9--
    0.8--
    0.7--
    0.6--
    0.5--
    0.4--
    0.3--
    0.2--
    0.1--

now after adding drops till it turns blue, do i add up what i added or do i use the amount im left with, in the syringe.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If it works like salifert's CA or Alk, you should go by the marks on the side of the syringe.  The amount remaing where the end of the plunger stops should be where you take the reading.