1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

anyone see a problem with this idea?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snowman82, Nov 3, 2009.

1. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will be running a 120 tank, 70g sump.  I am using a Dolphin SP3000 doing 3000gph at 2ft i believe.  do you think that pump would suffice as my return and also running a My Reef Creations MRC-1 skimmer as well?

2. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My personal opinion would be that currently you have too much flow throw you filter. I think that if you T'ed off the return and split it between the skimmer and main tank it would be alot better. The MR-1 only calls for 1200gph and I believe that 1800gph to the main tank would be good. I don't even have that much on my 180g. I would do it.

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    dzabler has an MRC MR-1 and he runs a Mag 18 on it with great results. I would recommend checking with him to see if he has any recommendations. The 120 has dual overflows rated for 600 GPH each, right? Seems to me that by the time you split it between the return and the sump, you should be fine. My concern would be using the return pump for the skimmer. Will you be having the skimmer dump directly into the tank? If not, then you could just be skimming the same water over and over again. I guess that's kind of the same concept as a recirculating skimmer...maybe it would be fine...I don't know. Add a t-on your plumbing and run your other stuff off it too like your reactors, maybe a frag tank...seems like that pump is sized just about right.

--AJ

4. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah i was thinking of T'ing it off a few times to do my skimmer, phosban, and return and leaving one open for possibly a frag tank. Thanks guys :)

5. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oh and the skimmer will be dumping directly back into the sump but on different ends so hopefully it wont all be the same water :)