1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone regenerating DI resin?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M2R, Apr 19, 2019.

1. M2R

Charles City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I must have about 10 gallons of spent mix bed resin. I need to start regenerating it or toss it. Anyone doing this already and have tips? I seem to remember that the mixed bed resin can be separated by buoyancy? One sinks and the other floats in DI water? Anyone have experience? thoughts? No I haven't read the internet sites yet. I know they must give directions but thought it might be a better starting point to see what others are doing first.

As a side note I am currently running a three stage DI system with cation, anion and then mixed bed. I switched to a small commercial unit with my move to Iowa and wow was that a good decision, 1:! waste to production ration, and awesome results. The well water goes from 200 ppm to 1 ppm before hitting my DI. I recommend this to anyone with a large system because it was only about twice the money and much better performance. I may even save money in the long run with less resin use. Only down side I see is the RO cartridge is a lot more money to replace. Yeah, a single RO cartridge and a 1:1 ratio, 500 gal/day, other units that came close to this used two or three RO cartridges. I think I spent about 600$ all together, round abouts.

- Mark

2. DNW

Jesup, IA
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I’ve been doing this for a couple years. Great way to save $, can regenerate 5# for less than the cost of 1# new. I made up a canister using 4” clear pvc pipe and reduced to 1” ball valve. The 2 resins separate by density in a solution of lye. Here’s the process I use
    How to Recharge DI Resin by David Sanders - Reefkeeping.com

• Noteworthy! Noteworthy! x 1
    • List
  3. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Great read, might start implementing this! Thanks for the link

4. M2R

Charles City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the information DNW. That helps. I will need to scale this up because I want to handle larger amounts of resin. The lye is NaOH. Based on the smell of anion resin I get from bulk reef they use Ammonium Hydroxide to regenerate. I wonder what is best. I wonder if you can buy acid and base at the concentrations needed so you don't have to mix or handle dangerous highly concentrated products. If I get this all worked I will let you all know. The good news is that regenerating the cation and anion from single bed resins will be much easier.

Please keep the thoughts and ideas coming.

- Mark

5. M2R

Charles City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Otherwise NaOH pellets could be weighed and added to the water to reduce handling concentrated liquid. Or better use the right volume to add the contents of an entire bottle. I wonder if the different resins separate in pure RO water that would make the separation step safer, or if you need the added density of the NaOH. I am thinking of trying to separate the entire 10 gallons of resin in one large plastic drum.

6. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    @DNW@DNW
    Since we usually have an abundance of saltwater on hand, can we add salt (or maybe it needs to be diluted it with freshwater?) to get the separation of resins? I think this would lend itself to separating larger batches at a time, without having to make larger batches of caustic solutions. I might do a little experimenting later!

7. DNW

Jesup, IA
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Never have tried separating in anything else. I usually do about 6-7 pounds at a time. I just keep scaling up the lye solution until I have enough liquid to separate. I have purchased liquid concentrations from some industrial chemical suppliers but they usually want large quantities. After explaining the situation I have had success into talking them into selling 5 gallons at a time but that usually takes some hanging around the parking lot like a creeper and talking to people as they are leaving/coming to work.

8. M2R

Charles City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    that sounds like a good idea, using salt until the anion and cation separate. Once separated they could easily be regenerated and flushed in an extra large canister. Regenerated with acid or base and then flushed all in the canister which could then just be put in line with your system.

9. M2R

Charles City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The last batch of anion resin I bought had so much ammonia smell to it that it did not seem to have been rinsed very well, this has to stress the mix bed in line after it.

10. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    It sounds like your suggesting regenerating the resins, then combining and flushing both at the same time in the cartridge. I would worry about precipitation of the acid and base in your mixed bed.

HCl + NaOH -> NaCl + H2O
    Been awhile since I took chemistry, but I think muriatic acid and lye would precipitate to plain salt, which would then dissolve into the water and flush out, so maybe not a huge deal after all, but other acids/bases might not have the same friendly and water soluble end product if someone decided to vary the recipe

11. M2R

Charles City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    No . Once separated I leave them separated. But no they would not precipitate, you just be contaminating the resins again with the excess acid or base left on the other resin. They need to be rinsed separately but not because of precipitation. The best way to use them is in separate cartridges. You would separate, rinse and then use them in separate canisters, cation in line before the anion and then a mixed bed to polish it off.

- Mark

12. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I must have misunderstood what you were saying. I have such a setup myself. I thought you were talking about mixing them back together as a mixed bed, which should be fine as long as they are completely flushed beforehand. I hadn't thought about how that would re-exhaust the resins if they still had acid/base on them, which is a good point.

And I misspoke, acid-base reactions yield salts, not precipitates. I was just speaking to the necessity of sticking to known recipes and thoroughly rinsing the resin before that water goes in the tank. For example, if a person used sulphuric acid instead of muriatic acid, that reaction would yield sodium bisulfate, which is toxic to starfish and related animals.

H2SO4 + NaOH -> NaSO4 + H2O