1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone locally dosing Vodka (for the tank, not you!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eric, May 21, 2009.

1. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I read about those on reef central. I will most likely be trying them.

2. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Posted By rc1214b on 05/12/2010 10:33 AM
    I would try to limit nightly dosing, better to dose when lights will be on for awhile
    Why?

3. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By rc1214b on 05/12/2010 10:33 AM
    I would try to limit nightly dosing, better to dose when lights will be on for awhile
    Thanks for the input!
    Is there an article that I missed discussing dosing at night?  I realize PH and other params can swing when the lights are off, but what I've read on the Vodka dosing is to split the dosage in half, although the articles I've read didn't mention it either way.
    I dose around 9am and the lights come on @ noon, then again around 9pm with the lights on until 11.
    -Eric

4. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As bacteria consume no3 and po4 they also consume oxygen, I'm not saying that problems will occur when dosing in the evening as everyones tanks are different. Just throwing out some caution

5. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What are you using for the vitamin C, what brand, and where to get it?

6. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Sodium Ascorbate crystalline powder I get it from Iherb.com here's a link http://www.iherb.com/NutriBiotic-Sodium-Ascorbate-Crystalline-Powder-16-oz-454-g/10178?at=0
    -Bill

7. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Bill!

8. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Rick I have a extra jar if you want to try it I can bring it to the swap and we can just take the cost off what I owe you.
    -Bill

9. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How's this going for you Eric? Any observations or questions?

10. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can this be moved to the general forum? Hate to be a wet blanket here, but I'm tired of deleting the notifications every day..........

11. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's in the general forum, just unsubscribe to the thread

12. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It is in the general forum. If you don't want the notifications for this thread (or any other) uncheck the "Subscribe" box at the top of the thread.

-JB

13. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did uncheck, does it take some time to go into effect?

14. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I did read a similar comment to this effect from Randy Holmes-Farley.
    -Eric

15. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I started dosing last Sunday (have some pics) and as of yet haven't noticed anything.
    For the short term I won't be doing water changes or disturbing the red slime too much to see if it recedes...I also haven't been testing phosphates or nitrates as they've always tested zero with my kits which I presume is a false negative (or no nuisance - right?).
    I'm using the 50g dosing regiment & 80 proof generic vodka.  Tank is a 72g with 20g sump and I'm figuring approximately 62-65 gallons of volume.
    I'll be taking pics as I go and will start a dedicated thread in the next week or so.
    Thanks!
    -Eric

16. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Eric, Any updates have you seen any effects good or bad?

17. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Hey Bill!

So far nothing substantial aside from visibly clearer water. Skimmate hasn't changed either althogh my wife thinks the zoas are brighter.

I've taken pics every week and I'll compare tonights pics with the last two weeks.

Today starts week #3 @ 1.4 ml.

Thanks!

-Eric

18. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Thanks for the update.

19. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Any changes?

20. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

Hey Bill!

I have been meaning to post an update & was contemplating starting an entire thread with details and progression pics but I lost a hard drive with all of the pics from day 1 of the dosing.
    Initially I noticed just the cleaner water (almost like there isn't any in the tank) but lately have seen improvements. 
    I'm 7 weeks into it at approx 6ml/day split into 2 separate doses @ 3ml ea.  A week or so ago I noticed darker skimmate, substantial growth and much better coloration - wish I had pics....I need to start with the pics from now for more documentation.  I've also noticed my red slime is essentially gone in the tank.
    Only 2 down sides: 
    A sps that has gone white.  Wife's telling me to toss it but my grape cap was also white and now coloring up again.  Weird thing is that the sps frag & original colony both bleached at the same time in different parts of the tank - strange how that can happen but I've seen it before.
    Last week I had some brownish slimy goo (like snot - sorry!) that showed up and I'll watch.  I assume it's from overdosing and I'll maintain my current dose if it returns.
    I've also found my params are in line - was fighting CA & Alk that are now right in line.
    -Eric