1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

anyone kept poison dart frogs or big terrariums?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by snowman82, Jun 18, 2009.

1. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A few years ago i was laid up for a few weeks and wanted to take a new adventure and started looking into terrariums and poison dart frogs.  I wanted a big terrarium and didn't have the funds for it so that idea went to the way side and i went into saltwater instead haha.  but was wondering if anyone else has kept them or thought of it.  i'm going to be witching my fish tank from my 125 to a 120 and though of using the 125 as a terrarium with some dart frogs and chamealeon or so :)  i think those frogs are awesome, and no they arn't poisonous if raised in captivity because its certain foods they eat in the wild that create the toxins on their skin :)

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I set a Terrarium a few years ago, it looked great for a few weeks but it had some issues.  I didn't have a house with central air at the time and I set it up in the middle of the summer, who would have thought that a bunch of heat and super humid conditions would cause mold and a very un healthy habitat.  Basically the tank was a 30 gallon or something close to that, it had a false floor where I had about 5 gallons of water along with a pump and a waterfall.  I wish I still had it, who knows maybe when my daughter gets a little older we will set it back up.
    Here are some old pics of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I wanted to get dart frogs but being I was unsuccessful with tree frogs, i never got them ordered. 

3. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that looks cool, basically what i wanted to do cause i had a 30g at the time haha but was not confident on my skills at such a task then either. what was you using for lighting? and ya a dart frog is expensive, kinda unreal how much they are

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think I was just using some reg NO flourecent at the time, a MH would have been ideal butlike i said being we had no central air at the time, there would have been no way to deal with the heat.

5. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Totally cool....where do you order something like a dart frog?

6. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    blackjungle.com is a cool site for stuff for vivariums/terrariums here is a link to their frog selection http://www.blackjungle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BJTS&Category_Code=AA