1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

anyone kept carnation coral?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snowman82, Mar 13, 2009.

1. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well my fiance stopped by the LFS to get me some snails, and she came back with some coral too, cause well, it was pink and pretty.  she didn't know the name of it but after looking around on the net i think its a type of carnation soft coral.  and is said to be kept by expert aquarist.  My tank has only been up and going for about 2 months or so now.  just wondering if anyone has kept them and how well they have done and what they have done to keep them alive.
    Chris

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have no experience with them, but I was reading an article on them a while back and it was indicating that the author was not aware of anyone that had kept them alive in captivity for more than 1 year. They require very regular target feeding, low light and medium flow. Not to be all doom and gloom, but your chances don't look good. Good luck!

3. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By snowman82 on 03/13/2009 09:27 PM
    Well my fiance stopped by the LFS to get me some snails, and she came back with some coral too, cause well, it was pink and pretty.  she didn't know the name of it but after looking around on the net i think its a type of carnation soft coral.  and is said to be kept by expert aquarist.  My tank has only been up and going for about 2 months or so now.  just wondering if anyone has kept them and how well they have done and what they have done to keep them alive.
    Chris
    Chris,
    First, it seems as if you are between a rock and a hard place!  To have a fiance that buys you corals is outrageously positive - but you'll need to tread lightly if this coral perishes or she'll be gun shy in the future [​IMG]
    Second, would it be possible to post a pic?  I'm not familiar with the carnation coral, but I'm sure one of the experts here could help with the identification and advice.

4. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I got a small frag of this type of coral about a year ago from lfs it died in about a week. I did not have the net at the time so i did not know it needed low light and i put it rite in the light. So that sucked big time it was a very cool pice.Hope yours does better.

-Bill

5. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I really wish LFS would step up and not bring these and other Non-photo corals in as often as they do. These corals are hard to keep for even the most advanced reefkeeper and yet they stock them and sell them to anyone who has the cash. If they don't sell within a week or so they rot away in the stores display untill the next shipment comes. This is nothing against you or your wife as I know how hard it is to not want a pretty orange, pink, yellow, etc coral. They are some of the most colorful coral out there.

My advice would be

High flow, these corals like a large volume of water flowing by to keep them fed and clean
    lower light, althought the light has nothing to do with the coral it will help prevent algae from building on the tissue if the coral is injured.
    Check out foods with small particle size, Fauna Marins Ultra Min, Zeo, and the range of plankton from Brightwell Aquatics.
    Do not turn off flow and target feed, these and many other corals are designed to capture prey that is moving towards them in flow, in fact I've read that these corals have a narrow range that will trigger polyps to prey.
    Feed often, at least once a day.
    If you have a sanbed that isn't a DSB, stir a small area of the sand to release possible food and bacteria for the coral to feed on.

Of course if these were all it took to keep them alive I'd be giving seminars instead of typing this in my socks and underwear..jk

Good luck and keep us updated on things you've tried and noticed.

6. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ya i plan on posting a pic today once the lights are on. i might have to move some rocks around to get a low light situation cause there isnt much in my tank that is low light. she also got a mushroom tree coral that is on the same rock as a piece of the carnation. so i might have to split them up.

7. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would take it back and ask to exchange it for some thing else!
    They are beautiful corals and would love to try my luck at them but I know that it would only be a waist of time!
    If you explain that your better half did not know about the coral being unable to survive in captivity, (If the pet store is a descent store,) they should exchange it for you.
    If they do then after you are done with the sale ask them to please inform future customers of these corals before a costumer buys them!!!! OR better yet not sell them at all!!
    Just my 2 cents worth..

8. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i would but its an hour drive to the store and it was a decent price for it all, so i'll give it a shot, it will atleast make her happy, i've already informed her that next time she wants to buy something ask about lighting and flow and how to feed, or atleast a name of it and call me before she gets it. this will atleast keep her happy for a while, give me a chance to try some hard to keep stuff, i have time to feed them and everything, i just need some live brine shrimp and stuff

9. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]

10. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

Wow!

That's a hot coral - I can see why she bought it!

11. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well she got 3 heads, 2 about that size and another one half that size that was attached to a rock with the mushroom tree leather and 3 turbo snails for 100 bucks the mushroom leather is pretty decent sized too so its a pretty good deal

12. 75g brat

75g brat Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    put in low light and low flow. Feed it zooplanktos-m at lights out. had mine for a month now and growing good. sorry I would show a pic but new and dont know how to.

13. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what color do you have?