1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone keeping goniopora?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vikubz, May 6, 2009.

1. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Anyone having success with this species. I picked up one at Bobo's closeout, thinking I was doing a good deed, but did not realize what the track record on this coral has been.
    I have a 75 gallon softies tank, 4x54 t5 for lighting, a 55 gallon tank for a sump with LR and chaeto. Lots of pods visible in the display and sump as well as snails and limpets spawning in the sump regularly. I don't skim real heavy, and according to what I've been reading, these are conditions that are thought to be beneficial to goniopora. Unfortunately it has begun to recede. I will be getting some cyclopeeze and coral frenzy Friday which from what I've read are the type of foods people have been using.
    Does anyone have further advice for saving this coral?

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sounds like a bad STD.....might want to get that checked out....j/k have never heard of it...sorry but the name just drew me in..

3. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    if there good and healthy they usually do fine but anytime i've ever had one that wasn't in good health they've died in a matter of weeks.

4. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ive had mine for about 2 months now and same thing. First two weeks looked great. All tentacles were out and swaying and just slowly been getting worse. It looks like it might be on the uphill now tho. Oyster eggs are suppose to be the #1 way to keep them alive for long periods of time. Spot feed with that twice a week and rotate with cyclopeeze and if there is any hope, thats the receipe I also impulse purchased and read how difficult they are to keep. Goniopora.org is by far the best site to find out info about these guys too. Ive read they almost like dirty (nitrates) tanks and survive better under these conditions vs. imaculate water. If anybody else has any secrets I'd love to hear as ive done everything possible and he just doesnt look the way he use to. Its depressing...

5. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Well, that's my tank. Lots of nutrients, lots of little fauna. I've got some cyclopeeze and coral frenzy coming tomorrow. Know of any local retailers who carry oyster eggs?

6. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Adams sells it for like 14$ for the small bottle. All my corals love it too actually so its worth it to throw in the feeding cycle. Seascapes might be able to order it for cheap too...

7. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Had one for a few years... about a foot across when extended... never really did anything special for it. My perc clown hosted in it. Died suddenly and now it is just a 4" rock.