1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone in Cedar Rapids have a PAR Meter?

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by marc111, Mar 6, 2011.

1. marc111

marc111

Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0
    Hi,
    I just finished assembling a proto LED light system and I would like to check it out. 
    Anyone have a PAR meter that I could borrow or perhaps arrange for you to come over the house and help with some measurements.  Its for a 240 gal system that's ready to go once the light is built.
    I am also available for help with LED systems if you need it.  I have a EE background.
    Mark

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I Would like to see ur led set up

3. marc111

marc111

Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0
    It's at the prototype stage, but you are welcome to see.  PM me and we can set something up.
    Mark

4. mfisher

mfisher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Marc,
    I am in the process of building a fishroom and a 180 reef (in the wall between fishroom and LR in basement).  I am planning to build a "nuclearheli" style LED setup.  I may want your help and would like to see your setup sometime as I begin the project.
    Thanks!
    Matt

5. marc111

marc111

Ratings:
    +1 / 1 / -0
    PM me MAtt and we can connect up.
    Mark

6. Reeferforlyfe

Reeferforlyfe Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LED's IMO are junk, MH is the way to go.....

7. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Mike, do you have anything which makes you think LEDs are junk? That's a pretty bold statement...

8. mfisher

mfisher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If by junk you mean equivalent PAR for less than half the watts and bulbs that can last a decade then yeah, they're junk. [​IMG]  Many folks on the web are finding LED's brighter than their MH. If I only had a 55 gallon tank, maybe I could afford a MH setup, but they waste a lot of energy in heat which is expensive and requires nuisance measures to mitigate.  I've been keeping salt tanks for nearly 20 years (off and on) and have seen some big changes. The LED (esp. DIY LED) may be the biggest of them all. With changes in sink and optic technology we are gonna see some crazy LED systems.
    I believe that in 5 years you won't see flourescents on tanks and probably MH only on a few deep tanks. I'm pretty sure condensed diodes on curved  (liquid cooled?) heatsinks LED pendants may completely eliminate MH.  Now that's a bold statement!
    Some of the retail versions probably were junk from what I can tell though (I've never seen em, but have heard lots of complaints).  The initial cost is high, but it's a great investment if you consider the cost in the long run (few newbies do--I know I wasted a lot of $$$ in the beginning).
    Mike, you've been at this 5 months.  I'm glad you're getting started but you will learn there is a lot to learn and more than one way to skin a cat.  You must be regurgitating something you heard, because in 5 months you can't have that kind of 'knowledge' from experience. For some MH may be a great option, but for me and many others LED is much more appealing.
    Matt