1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone got a good way to make frag plugs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FishBrain, Mar 1, 2009.

1. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I'm sick of paying crazy prices for plugs. Any one got a way to make them that they know is safe and works well?

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think I would just buy them commercial made...but here's a link I found. http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-2672.html

3. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can make a few molds out of sand or concrete. Use a pencil and a bottle cap to make the mold and then fill it in with whatever you can make plugs out of.

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm moving this topic to the general forum.

5. Rustin

Rustin Inactive User GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    snail shells work well!

6. Rustin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ive got everything needed to make them at my finger tips, my moms a huge pottery person. She was curious what type of clay they are useing. It would be easy to make em and fire em.

7. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think you'd want to use white clay over red clay, as red clay is supposed to have more lead in it and they use white for tableware.

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    A bag of frag plugs is only $5.49 from Oceans Wonders...   That's about $.22 cents a plug.   Unless you don't value your time at all, I don't think you could make them for any cheaper then that and those are nice quality plugs.
    -JB

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with JB...I can think of a lot better ways to spend my time.  If you're going large scale Bill, you may want to try to contact them directly to see what kind of a deal they would give you on 1,000 plugs (or whatever volume you're interested in) to cut the price down a little more.  Heck, maybe see if others from the group need some and maybe you can get an even better discount by incorporating it into a group buy.
    From the Ocean Wonders site:
    Do you offer discount pricing for high volume orders?

A.
    Yes!  Orders of 25 bags or more of our frag mounts may receive at least
    a 20% discount.  We also offer wholesale pricing to distributors, pet
    stores and reef clubs, contact us for details.

A 20% discount brings the price to .175 each.
    --AJ

10. Rustin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    from what I remember clay can be freakin expensive and hard to find a good source local. I was wanting to make some bases to hold plugs cause those are handy.

11. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 03/02/2009 08:14 AM
    A bag of frag plugs is only $5.49 from Oceans Wonders...   That's about $.22 cents a plug.   Unless you don't value your time at all, I don't think you could make them for any cheaper then that and those are nice quality plugs.
    -JB
    My thoughts as well....  just bought some Ocean Wonders my self thinking they were very cheap.  To me takes too much time to make my own and you have to think if you are going to fire clay in Kiln depending on the size/type it might take just as much electricity!?!?

12. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Just to let everyone know I don't realy value my time that much! lol joking I have a lot of time on my hands in the winter so I like to think of stuff to keep busy. Thanks for your input everyone.

-Bill

13. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I think youd almost have to cast a flexible rubber mold to be able to efficently get the plugs out without messing the mold up every time.