1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone else tired of Reef Centrals Corporate Attitude

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glaspie69, Jan 25, 2008.

1. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    So I've had the www.greateriowareefsociety.org as my signature on rc for awhile now, funny how that violates there terms and conditions AFTER I post negitive feedback on one of there sponsers. It's just funny how much BS happens and nothing is said as long as your hob nobbed with a mod on RC but if your not your not allowed to say anything negitive about anything or anyone. Makes me not want to use there site anymore.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    actually... yeah. i agree with you 100%

i didnt really like reef central after i saw a few mods post.. i dont like how it is there sometimes. i would use this site exclusively but, some people still arent converted...yet.

i dont use any of the other sections on RC anyways.

damn the man!

3. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I also have been PM'd by a mod to remove my URL. I believe it is stated in their regulations that URLS are are not allowed to be in your signature. Now mods don't actively monitor these things so someone probably reported you to a mod.  Maybe the vendor who you complained to or one of their fanboys.

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By heartben on 01/25/2008 12:02 PM
    i didnt really like reef central after i saw a few mods post.. i dont like how it is there sometimes. i would use this site exclusively but, some people still arent converted...yet.
    Well, I think there is a small set of people who will only post on the clubs RC forum as a matter of principle (what this "matter of principle" is, I really have no idea).
    From what I've seen lately, the bigger problem seems to be that new people who discover the club think that they can't sign up and post on this forum until they join the club.   I think the setup of the website is largely to blame for this, and I'm going to adress that soon (maybe even this weekend), so hopefully we can get more people involved in the club website without thinking they have to immediately pay to join the club.   I think anyone who interacts with the club members for any period of time will eventually see that $20 a year is an unbelievable value.
    On the subject of RC, I would say that their mods do tend to cross the lines of common sense more often than not, but I do understand their right to protect themselves.   I'm glad that we have our forum over there as it's a great way to advertise the club, but you'll never convince me that we should use our RC forum as the clubs main online presence.
    -JB

5. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just as long as potential members don't question the value of the club before paying to join. If they do that, we will be forced to give them a public flogging and violent tongue lashing.

Oh...wait a minute.../site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

Seriously though, I am running into the whole corporate attitude on another forum I frequent and it came about because the board was sold to a mass marketing company...

Looks like according to a whois lookup, Reef Central belongs to a corporate entity so it doesn't surprise me in the least...

6. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    JB...is there a way to tell where the people are from once they sign up to use this forum. Like, can you get their IP address and find out if they are even from Iowa or not? I would be curious to see if we could figure out who is all "lurking" the website without contributing.

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sort of... We use Google Analytics and it gives me a weekly report about all kinds of stuff regarding traffic to the website, and whenever someone posts to the forums, it records the IP address they posted from, so there is some information there, but to actualy know who is lurking and not posting would be a bit of a stretch.

-JB

8. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    but you can atleast tell if they are from Iowa or not. Thats cool. It would be interseting to see.

9. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree about the mods. But what can you do? I personally like this site better and believe there is more activity here than there. I stopped going to most of RC's forums awhile back after something one of the mods did to someone and have not looked back. Most of the club members and non club members here give out information they know freely. And I have yet to see anyone be singled out or censored for there opinions.

10. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I noticed it become a problem after they instated the new mods. "If you want to see the true character of the man, give him power..."

11. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I just can't beleive some of the offensive statements and actions I've seen come from the mods, sad part is it's like they couldn't give a crap. I'm waiting for the day the right vendor catches one of them slamming members and spreads the word, without the vendors RC has dirt.

12. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    im sorry i never have used that place, to difficult got to figure out exactly what forum it might be in, its to stretch out and seems boring there

13. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I never thought they were THAT bad...until just now. Today they closed one of my old for sale threads that I had just bumped. They said that it was "commercial." I don't how they can call selling left over lighting parts (at a loss) commercial when some people are selling $1000's of dollars in $100 1/2" frags every month.

14. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By lee on 01/28/2008 5:48 PM
    I never thought they were THAT bad...until just now. Today they closed one of my old for sale threads that I had just bumped. They said that it was "commercial." I don't how they can call selling left over lighting parts (at a loss) commercial when some people are selling $1000's of dollars in $100 1/2" frags every month.
    What thread did they close Lee?

15. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I was surfing the tunze forum the other day and read a thread about a guy that was having problems with a skimmer, he put some things in harsher than normal terms but nothing profain, a mod stepped in and basically told him to shut his mouth, the guy asked the mod that because the company was a RC sponser that he shouldn't be able to say what he thought or felt and the mod reponded with a comment that really summed it up, his comment was "yeah thats what I'm saying"......nice....kinda goes back to that old computer nerd saying about 90 lb guys going on power trips controlling what people can or cannot do or say.....it's getting sad

16. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They are getting out of hand over there.

I don't like the extremes they go to there, but moderation is a necessary evil. Unfortunately a lot of people have no idea how to deal with a little bit of responsibility and authority. Just one more reason why we should all be concentrating on building our site up here.

17. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    next time you order something online, do it by phone and complain about your experiences with the mods on reef central.

they are pretty pushy, i get on a rock band website where anything is allowed and the mods there are rude but that is to be expected there, but they do not act god-like as the mods on reef central do.

im not saying to lie about reefcentrals mods, just strike up a conversation and ask what they think about the double standards and bad judgement calls you see on reef central, let them know how you feel.

i once wrote an inflammatory message directed at one of the mods over there, basically calling him a jack-booted ss soldier for reef central. i left it there for about an hour not really caring if i got banned or not, but came to my senses after awhile and decided it would be stupid to not be able to use their site, and deleted it before they seen it.

hey if they want to be a-holes, just be one right back and use their site for everything its worth, buy/sell there, get info whatever and when you use thier sponsers, let them know your feelings.

18. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    LOL, I remember that thread very well. I still have saved copies of the PM's that were sent between me and a couple of there mods in that debacle, and I would say that it wouldn't hurt for most of their mods to be brought down a few notches. Again, I think RC is really a great resource, it's just a shame to see it ruined by mods that clearly don't have the knowledge and/or restraint that it takes to be a good mod.

More people need to respond to my "Reasons to Become a Member" thread in the members section so I can redo the "Join GIRS" link that I think may be confusing non-members. There are still several people posting over there that I'm pretty sure don't realize that we have active forums here as well (along with the infamous "RC Only" people... - sorry, it just makes me snicker).

-JB

19. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BGreenlee on 01/28/2008 5:58 PM

I can no longer find it so they must have deleted it.   Of course the search feature doesn't work if you aren't a premium member....which I am glad I decided not to renew.

20. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By lee on 01/28/2008 10:07 PM

Posted By BGreenlee on 01/28/2008 5:58 PM

I can no longer find it so they must have deleted it.   Of course the search feature doesn't work if you aren't a premium member....which I am glad I decided not to renew.
    I did a search by your user name, there is nothing that you have for sale over there. They must have deleted it.