1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anyone dose with Vit. C for zoanthids?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phishcrazee, Dec 14, 2008.

1. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There's a HUGE thread on RC about this, but here's the short and sweet version Vit C thread
    I'm going to try it for my zoas, as some of them, sometimes, for no apparent reason that I can see, will not open up or seem to have difficulty opening up.  I have heard of good results with it, but just wondering if anyone here has actually tried it?

2. kyle

kyle Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I haven't seen anything on this, but sure would like to hear about results.Some of mine stay closed a lot!Others are always open..go figure?? LOL

3. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have read a few post in Reef 2 Reef. I haven't had any experence with this personally, but have read alot of good things, but the only problem is that you could over dose easy, so be careful. I did read that it helps with growth and color. Alway thought about trying it, but never got around to it. I will look to see if I can find that thread.

4. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is a thread from RC
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...page%20number=1
    This is a thread on Reef 2 Reef
    http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?p=104535&mode=linear#post104535

5. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did it for a week. I had some zoas that would not open up after I transferred them from one tank to another. I took out my carbon and dosed about 500mg/120ish gallons once a day. It opened them up right away. After a week I stopped and the zoas have stayed open and happy. Good luck.

6. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I've waded through most of the 53 page RC thread on dosing vit c and have ordered some and plan on taking some before and after pictures :) Will keep ya'll updated!

7. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where did you order from?

8. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Iherb, as was suggested in the big huge thread........ there is a discount code too, let me see if I can find it.
    LUL789
    I bought the buffered (very important, or your pH will get all whacky), sodium ascorbate, pure pharmaceutical grade powder, 3# of it.  Make sure to read a bit of the thread if you're going to try it though.  I know you can also use calcium ascorbate, but it must not have any other things in it and it must be buffered.
    the basic schedule for dosing is this:
    OK, in short, you should order some Sodium ascorbate or Calcium ascorbate from here: www.i-herb.com. You can drop it under your skimmer cup.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC

10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC

15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC

20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC

25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC

30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

Be sure your pH is around 8.2 & your alk is around 9-10, before you
    start. Keep an eye on both (I test weekly, now that I notice no
    changes).
    Also, make sure to remove any carbon from your system before you start and watch your skimmer, as it's supposed to improve function and some people have had it overflow.
    Let me know if you try it too, it will be interesting to see your results!

9. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just ordered the VC. I will post some pic when i get it, and then keep everyone updated with results as well.
    phishcrazee---how much are you going to dose, and what size tank do you have. I was just woundering how much you are going to start at. do you add it to the sump, or do put in a bucket of RO water. and then put in tank.

10. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 75g with a 30g sump, but lots of live rock etc, so I'm thinking the water volume is probably close to 75g.  I know they stress it's important to start out low and slowly.  Add it to your sump, if you have one, or to a high flow area if you don't.  No need to mix it with fw first.....

11. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will do 1419mg VC to start assuming I have about 75g of water volume in my system......1/4 tsp=1112 mg., so a little more than a 1/4 tsp for me to start 2x a day

12. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    she says you can up it like this:

The method to be followed in all cases is as follows:

Day 1 : concentration of 5 ppm

Day 2 : concentration of 15 ppm

Day 3 : concentration of 30 ppm

Day 4 : concentration of 50 ppm

After day 4, continue treating with a concentration of 50 ppm for 10 more days to 30 more days, depending on the severity of what you are treating for.

The total treatment period is thus 14-30 days but can last longer if need be.

In real severe cases you may need to treat for an additional 7 days or more

During this entire period you should not be using activated carbon

During this entire period you should not be using any chemical filtration media either (e.g. resins or pads, SuperChem and the like).

The skimmer needs to continue to be in operation.

Note that when you use these kind of Vitamin C concentrations it really is of utmost importance that you monitor you pH and ensure that it does not suddenly drop.

Check the pH before you add the C but check a few minutes later also. If the pH is too low add a complete buffer immediately to re-establish your alkalinity and increase the pH of the water in the tank. This is very important indeed.

It is important too, to realize that your dKH must be in the 9 to 10 range to minimize the amount of cloudiness that will develop. It the dKH is high (e.g. 12 or more) you will initially have a lot more cloudiness. This will gradually disappear though as you continue the treatment.

Not sure if I will get up that high that quickly though and I may only go as high as 30ppm, we'll see how it goes.

13. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well my order of VC came today. I am planning on deciding what my doseing should be, and then take some before pics. Hopefully this will help grow my zoas.

14. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am not understanding the dosing, and how to figure out how much i should dose to start off with and how much i should add to reach the 30ppm. phishcrazee could you help me figure that out. I have almost 200g of water volume and I would like to start off at the 5ppm and work my way up to 30ppm.