1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

any one use coral -vite

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    is that coral -vite any good? was wondering if any one used it and if it makes your corals grow better than other brands on the market

2. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use Black Powder and Cyclopeez, but I have heard very good things about Coral Frenzy which I plan on trying next.

3. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it's just a bunch of trace minerals etc, right? If you're doing frequent enough water changes and use a decent salt, all the trace minerals should be in your salt mix.

4. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used it for a short while right after I got my tank started....

I prefer the Zeo supplements now.

GL
    eins

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    is Black Powder and Cyclopeez pretty good stuff?' trying to get my corals to grow faster

6. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The best thing you can do to get your corals to grow faster is to make sure that your Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium are all in balance with each other.

When that happens the growth takes off....Then you use SMALL amounts of additives to enhance their colors.

eins

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

do you need iron for a sofftie tank ? i orderd 64 oz of coral-vite and 64 oz of iron what others do i need? i have iodine  all ready

8. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think you need iron for anything other than algae. It's not really recommended for reef tanks.

9. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What are your parameters?

before you start adding all kinds of things to the tank you should know where your big 3 parameters are. That way you can have some idea if the things you want to add are going to help your tank or not.

eins

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    only one i can check is cal and its at 480 others i need to order test kits this week i had a lot of coraline alage but it died off i have phos in my tank 2ppm i used phosguard to take it out i had red slim but its gone all my corals are doign great only one taken off fast fast is that xenia i clean my water 4 times a month 10-15 percent each change

11. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Never add anything you can't test for! Like I said before, if you're using a good salt made for a reef tank and are doing regualr water changes, you don't need all this additive crap. Check for calcium, alk, magnesium, specific gravity temp nitrates, trates, ammonia pH etc first.... good husbandry will make your coral grow and look good, not some specific additive.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And if you're not doing water changes, you should still be testing for everything you add OR watching for and expecting problems at some point.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    wher do i buy Magnesium i use instant ocean salt bucket is all most gone then i think ill try a new salt thanks

14. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use ESV magnesium. You can get it at Marine Depot or Premium Aquatics.