1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Any obvious problems with the website that need to be addressed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JB, Dec 31, 2008.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    We don't really have a better spot to post this, so I'm posting it here.
    Is anyone having any problems with the functionality of the website?    Are there things that could be changed to make it easier to use?
    Sometimes as a developer you can be too close to the problem to see the problem itself, so if anyone is having any issues, please let me know.
    Thanks
    -JB

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I always let you know JB, /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif. I actually think it is working VERY well. The forum is the easiest of any I use. One thing comes to mind, (besides the obvious Active Social changes we have discussed), a buddy list for PM's like RC. It can be a little time consuming if you can't remember someones name to PM them. I have a good list built up on RC so I sometimes go there to PM.

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it works very well. I do have a couple of suggestions / ideas.

It would be nice if the threads showed more than 10 replies per page, and when you click on the next page, it would be nice if it brought you back to the top of the page rather than staying at the bottom.

It would be cool if we could tag the photos with member names like how facebook does. I don't know if that would be possible though without spending a ton of money on new software.

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nope. Every time I have an issue, you've fixed it right away. It's working great. I would love to see more profile data capabilities so that people could list out their tanks and livestock...but maybe that's over kill. Anyway, add that one to the wish list. Thanks Jason!

--AJ

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Lee: If you go into your forum profile (link in the upper right side of the forum under) you can adjust some of these settings to whatever you like.
    Joel & Aaron:   Active Social should provide the buddy list and profile functionality...   I'm really looking forward to this module.   He's a screenshot of the default profile page:
    [​IMG]

6. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would like to see an insert picture function in the forums...
    Its just me but I hate typing out "[img][/img]" Most forums have that function where you hit the insert image button and just paste the URL in the box.

Sorry I am just lazy....

eins

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Bill, I agree that would be a nice enhancement. I've mentioned that to the people that make the software and they don't seem to see the value. There is a different editor that I'm looking at using, but it introduces some other problems making the cure worse than the disease.

I also fixed a bug where the chat room links on the home page weren't working.

-JB

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Update on the image thing...   I just heard from the author of our forum software and this will be a feature of the next update coming out in the next few days.
    So... Good news, problem solved.
    -JB

9. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just thought of something: Can we make City required on registrations so it shows up on posts. I am always wondering where people are from, especially new members.

10. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    We'll do that and a few other things when we add active profile.

-JB

11. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thats GREAT news JB....Thkx

12. Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nevermind figured it out!

13. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The "Insert Image" button is now available in the tool bar.
    It doesn't look like the cancel button works properly.   I'll report that as a bug.
    -JB

14. Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Something that's always thrown me off is the chat link. It would be nice if it opened up in a new window. Sometimes I pop in the chat to wait for people, and then I end up surfing other areas of the site and forget that I no longer have the chat room open.... or I'll say Hi to somebody and then start browsing other parts of the site and leave them hanging... (Right Jeremy?!)
    I know I could manually open 2 windows, but I always forget /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

15. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I've already sent the author a suggestion for that very feature. They have a new version in the works that will hopefully have some nice enhancements...

-JB

16. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How about changing the default Check the box to receive emails notifications to not be checked? Not that I don't enjoy seeing that my topic was replied to but I visit enough that I can see if the topic is responded to. It's petty I know but...

17. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ahh, but I would argue the other way. I like the email notifications.

18. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You can change that in your preferences at the user level.

19. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I liked the main page a lot better when the new threads were on top right when you logged on. I would move the Vote now thing under them.

Do we even have a newsletter to sign up for?

20. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    We don't have an official "Newsletter", but we do use that tool to send out information about the group.

-JB