1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Any Interest in a DIY Food Meeting

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by Troy, May 18, 2009.

1. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    just woundering if anyone in the CR area would like to have a DIY Food meeting.    Des Moines had one I wish I was able to go to but couldn't.    I thought we could have one of our own

2. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    If I'm not scheduled to work the day it's done I'd drive down from Cedar Falls for it.

3. mralanjones

mralanjones Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i would be able to make it

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'd be interested as well...

5. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We should talk to Cyber to get this a club event since we haven't had one lately. I also am going to do some research on what all goes in to it and kinda price out all the supplies.

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We talked about this a while back when we were being asked about what kind of events we wanted to see this year. I'm on board with this too.

One other thing that I have been tossing around (that may not be needed if we do the DIY food meeting) is a scheduled group buy for frozen food. Everyone needs food at different intervals, but if we could coordinate scheduled dates, then people that were interested in participating could buy based on the scheduled dates. Something like quarterly. Just something else to kick around.

--AJ

7. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Well I'm not exactaly from CR area but If this happens I'll drive up to attend.

8. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I would be interested as well! 

Brian

9. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here is a youtube video I found. I know where to get most of the stuff locally, and a order off of marinedepot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMFDjkKldjo&feature=related

10. Jag3365

Jag3365

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd  be interested in this too.  I haven't made any meetings yet and not much happening around Dubuque.  If this is a go I"ll make the trek!

11. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm in.

12. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    We used JJ's recipe found on our site here:
    http://www.greateriowareefsociety.o...ral+Recipe
    Hey JB, this doesn't appear in the Wiki unless you search for it. It is sort of lost somehow.
    Some things we couldn't get so we went without or substituted. If anyone is going to be in Des Moines Iowa Seascapes will pre order the ingredients for a great deal.
    A tip that we learned:
    If you use any frozen cubes, don't thaw them completely, they won't come out of the package wortha damn. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif
    Pouring everything into one big bucket worked well.

13. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for pointing this out Joel. I've added it to the DIY section of the Wiki.

--AJ