1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Any ideas how to get us some more members in the area?

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by Waverz, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It sort of seems the Loo' area is falling behind when it comes to members and activity.  I would like to get some ideas on ways to recruit some more folks in the area.  One idea i sort of stole from Monkey Man Zero and Reefer MAdness.  I mentioned before volunteering at a LFS for a day, i think it is still a good idea as while we are helping our LFS out we could also help ourselves by recruiting members while we are there. 
    Any other thoughts or ideas?

2. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good idea, Let me know someday and I will go with you to emporium and help.

I Send Pm to people that have registered to the site and are from the area, I also send a pm to Club members that are not active about the pizza party I did get couple of responds.

I want to start have a monthly meeting/ get together. Like the 3rh saturday or sunday of the month. How does that sound to you guys.

3. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    im down for whenever

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    You mean Mad Hat Pets? I will call Rehnee sometime this week and see if we can set something up. I would like to do it when she actually has some livestock in so people don't show up and have nothing to look at or buy.
    Another thing i might try is to try and sell some coral on craigslist and swap sheet, i know there are people around here it's just a matter of thinking of creative ways to find them. Plus i might make a few bucks in the process.

LOL

5. DavidM199

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice idea jeremy

I was think of giving Mad Hat pets a couple pieces of coral

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I think we need to communicate & keep in contact with the people we have.

How many people showed up at the pizza party last year? 22 or so. I think that is a hell of a number if we can keep that many active.

7. Iamaxxer

Iamaxxer Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Make up some business size cards listing the web site... If you are in good with the LFS ask to leave some on the counter or have the cashiers give one out with the sales receipt.  Promote the site and make it as viable as you can...I hate to say it but I stumbled on it by accident didn't even knew the forum existed. I had done a couple of searches on the web but had not found it....

8. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    How about a Girs display tank, either at mad haters orin a pulic place. Local event such as a swap with radio and/or newspaper advertising. Maybe Jeremy could be sunny lanes some one you should know.

9. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Ask iamaxxer what it would take to get him to become a member, then do that.LOL

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm in Des Moines (originally from w'loo). I just stumbled across this site as well (referred by someone local I bought frags from). Are there options to "advertise" with some of the larger sites (reefcentral, reefsanctuary, nano-reef, etc)? Maybe some of them would even let you reach out to members that have specified a relevant location in their profile? reefcentral is doubtful, since they are all about the $$$, but perhaps some others?

As for me...I'm still undecided as to whether I should pay the membership. I get a lot more out of reefsanctuary currently. I found this site really indirectly through that site (reefsanctuary.com->frags.org->girs).

11. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just post some free coral in your local Craigslist....... I do that from time to time and well, they really come crawling out of the woodwork /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif I think about 90% of the people that respond to my free coral ad have never heard of GIRS either, so I send them the link along with my reply. I'm not posting anything expensive, mind you, just things that I trim back like orange cap, xenia etc. I'm sure I've had several dozen people respond to each ad and I'll always see an increase in new people joining the site after I post a free coral ad /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

12. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Wow now that is an incredible idea Fawn!

13. Iamaxxer

Iamaxxer Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By ruggerkc on 01/21/2009 06:57 AM
    Ask iamaxxer what it would take to get him to become a member, then do that.LOL
    Ta daaaaa.....Getting me to drop the $20 this time is pretty easy....dropping 20 in a year will be the telltale sign

14. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    [​IMG][​IMG] Gee now I feel guilty[​IMG][​IMG]

15. DavidM199

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well i did go to Mad Hat pets and put some Business card on there board. It think we try to plan a work day/ meet and greet at mad hat pet in the near future.

16. Madjabjoe

Madjabjoe Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't know if this would help but putting pictures on the site of our officers and possibly members is a great PR and net working tool. I am willing to bet that people would be more willing to engage in activities if they could see who they were meeting before hand. Members might recognize each other when out shopping or having a good time at their favorite watering hole and strick up conversations that way. Just some thoughts...

17. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Madjabjoe on 01/21/2009 05:58 PM

I don't know if this would help but putting pictures on the site of our officers and possibly members is a great PR and net working tool. I am willing to bet that people would be more willing to engage in activities if they could see who they were meeting before hand. Members might recognize each other when out shopping or having a good time at their favorite watering hole and strick up conversations that way. Just some thoughts...
    You know, that's a really really good idea.   I can't believe we haven't already done this because it seems pretty obvious.  LOL
    -JB

18. Madjabjoe

Madjabjoe Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does GIRS have T-Shirts. We could raise the dues by 5 bucks or so and give all the members a T-Shirt with there membership. Im always looking for new T-Shirts. Free advertising as well???

19. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    We are in the process of having T-Shirts made up. Hopefully we will be selling them at the big February meeting.

-JB

20. Madjabjoe

Madjabjoe Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great! Will we be able to get them off the site as well. I would like to pick one up when they are ready.