1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

any acrylic shops in the area?

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by adampottebaum, Sep 5, 2008.

1. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    hey i'm lookin at doing a possible tank build in the area. i want to make a 6 foot long tank so it's gonna need to be about 1/2 inch thick acrylic. is there any in the area? i tried some lookin on the internet but couldnt find anything. i'm willing to drive for this stuff.... possibly des moines, cedar rapids, iowa city.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    If you want to build it yourself Regal Plastics in Evansdale sells Acrylic.

I just ordered mine from Midwest Aquariums in Minnesota.

3. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    yea i just checked out their site and they look pretty good. what size is your tank and how much did it cost? i'm just trying to get an estimate of how much ordering one would be.

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    mine are 80L 24D & 30W. I had him go with 3/4 inch so it would be a little safer, Everything with the overflows & all was about $1700

5. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    damn, a little more than i'd like to spend. how much of that was shipping? well i'm lookin for a 60" wide, 18" deep, and 24" tall with 1/2" thickness. something within those tolerances would be nice. i have a nice stand me and my dad built one weekend, so i kind of want to keep it. is there any prebuilt tanks that are about that size. i've been looking around and it jumps from 48" wide to 72" wide. i can't find anything that's just 60" wide. ???

6. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    In therory and to save you alot of headache in the future the term would be 60 long...not wide. 5ft tanks are kind of a rarity due to lighting issues, most bulbs are 4 or 6 ft, and the spread on a halide is 2ft x 2ft leaving a void of shady area in a 5ft tank unless you run three bulbs. If I were you, i'd look into getting a 120 and building a new stand, 120's are 48x24x24 and make awesome displays for the money. If your planning to make a tank thats acrylic and 1/2 inch thick you should say good bye to your wallet, cost wise you going to loose your butt hands down

7. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You could possibly do a small mod to the stand on either side to accomidated the extra 12 inches.