1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Anome Splitting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I figured I would let the pros answer this for me.  If a anome starts to go into two different direction and looks like it is splitting right down the middle including the mouth would you say that the anome is becoming two or is it perishing?
    Thanks, Gary

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I'm not a pro but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night

It is probably splitting, you should know by tomorrow. Usually if they start to die they get limp & start turning to mush.

3. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Gary what type of anemone is it? If its a bubble tip there known to split and split often. If its a seabae I would say its just spreading out, there known for not spliting in captivity. On a side note, are you planning to make the Fall Fest, might be some good exposure and an all around good time.

4. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "I'm not a pro but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night "
    [​IMG]

5. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd say it is splitting for sure. Tomorrow, if it is not split all the way you should probably take a razor and finish the split. When they have incomplete splits they seem prone to die soon after. Anemones will usually split when they are not happy. Kinda a survival tactic.

6. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By vvolfe1 on 08/29/2008 7:59 PM
    Anemones will usually split when they are not happy. Kinda a survival tactic.
    or when Ben is chasing them with a knife...
    If the ANEMONE is purposely attatching to 2 different points and pulling I would say it is a split.  Like Ben stated it typically is a stress response, but some will do it after reaching a preset size.

7. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a split to me. When mine do that it only takes a couple hours and its in two. I would not say that just because its splitting that its in distress, although stress can certainly cause it.

Give them 4 or 5 days to heal a bit and then give them something to eat, ripping yourself in half take a lot of energy. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif