1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Big Year Announcing the Big Year Contest

Discussion in 'Contests' started by xroads, Jan 22, 2018.

1. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    It is all the same fish don’t have to be a biologist just do your research off of livaquia , bluezoo,

2. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0

700AEED2-2F1C-45B4-9AC0-19864FD3554F.png
    It seems like people are getting a little butt hurt by a contest. Aussie and lighthouse gal clearly are the one and two members who have went above and beyond all others. I believe this contest was created to get people more involved with the group by posting their travels throughout the clubs members tanks and the local fish stores they encountered. Whoever wins that is great. I wish there was more participation in this by other members and that includes myself. I would have opened up my home to any member who wanted to come by take a couple pics discuss some saltwater fish things . I hope that any of you guys who got involved in this contest took more out of your travels to the other peoples homes and local fish stores took more out visiting and learning about how others do things versus I’ve got to get a pic to win a contest.Hopefully you made a few new friends along the way. I only threw up some questions to the contest as examples of what I hope doesn’t become a pissing match amongst people with the same interests.

3. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    Amen @Roman@Roman personally I just call it a draw, this is what I learn about salt water ...... you have to have a huge system for the bioload, sea amename are on the verge of been destroyed but definitely a needed species in Florida , red tide is really bad, when the family flew into Florida you can see the fish kill from the plane I know hard to believe but it was up and down the coast ..... Learn that Roman was a freakin awesome guy and his tank is coming along well made me go out and start a calcium reactor ..... Matt stol has some of the best sps coral I have seen with extensions,
    prieto cordero from reef geeks had freakin awesome prices on fish and guy welcome you in like your a brother walked away with 5 chalice, a dusky jaw and a pinstripe wrasse, should make this guy a vendor , tom kucala owner of aquariumoverload.com has bashsea equipment he is a online seller and told me he ships by speedee for 20 bucks “ has a pretty cool clown hachary”.....

best yet thou my daughter learning about the ocean that I grew up on back in Australia

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I am out of town.

I will review entries and announce a winner this wekend.

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    OK Results

There were two clear leaders, lighthouse gal & Aussie. Both had over 20 entries that I rejected, and there were enough that were grey areas.

So I am announcing them as co winners and each will get a $370 GC to the LFS of their choice. Both really went above an beyond and hopefully learned quite a bit about fish this year.

Third place is Shane P who will receive a $125 GC to the LFS of his choice.

Congrats to all the winners, it was a cool contest, too bad more didnt enter.

6. LighthouseGal

LighthouseGal

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Thank you , we had a fun time going to all the different places and learned a lot about different fishes

7. LighthouseGal

LighthouseGal

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Congratulations to Aus and Shane P also

8. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    You too Cindy best result ..... man there was so many fish I wish I could have and the sea dragon was amazing to see wonder if there going to the hatchlings back in the waters of Perth Western Australia

9. yankieman Well-Known ReefKeeper

Monmouth, IL
    Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Congrats to the winners wtg , what a great contest

10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Craig did you mean $375? That half of the 1st & 2nd place prizes added together. Just making sure

11. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    Congrats to Aussie and Lighthouse Gal

What is the protocol for claiming the gift card?

12. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    I got ahold of @Bud@Bud after I figure which store I wanted

13. LighthouseGal

LighthouseGal

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    I also contacted Bud

14. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    Congratulations to the winners! Nice job everyone that participated.