1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Ammonia Issues in QT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by h2so4hurts, Feb 11, 2009.

1. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My QT tank is having ammonia problems.  I've been treating it with ammo-lock, but I see no reduction at all in the ammonia from one day to the next.  I've been doing daily 50% water changes with aerated and heated water.  I tried to kickstart the biological filter like I did the last time I had the QT up and running by adding about 15 bioballs to the filter chamber of my powerwheel.  I've been testing daily for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.  Ammonia goes from about 2 ppm after a water change to around 8ppm after 24hrs.  This seems like a massive increase to me and there's only 1 fish in there!!  When I had ALL of my fish in that QT for a month, the ammonia never got above 3ppm (at which point I did water changes).  I picked up some saltwater BioZyme from petco which is supposed to be a good bacterial culture for seeding filters, but with undetectable levels of nitrite or nitrate, I think I can safely assume that there's no biological filter activity.
    The last time I ran the QT I had some maracyn 2 in there, but when I broke the tank down I rinsed it out with DI and toweled it off to remove any left over debris. I added an activated carbon sock to the filter last night to suck out any remaining antibiotic. I just can't understand how I can run the tank for a month with 6 fish in there and now I can't even keep one in there without an ammonia problem. My last resort is to go pick up a new QT tub from walmart just in case I didn't clean it out well enough after the last QT round.
    Any ideas?

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I am not sure, I have been running my 24 clowns in a 50QT now for 2 weeks. I do a 20% water change daily. I have no filtration. I hand skim the top then vacuum the bottom.

3. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You make me mad /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif What kind of tank do you have them in? My QT is 10 gallons with a 3" Blue Hippo Tang. I figure that's big enough?

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    lol, I just have an old junk acrylic tank on a table right now. I was wondering if your amonia might be coming from your filters?

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It could be. I rinsed off the bioballs in saltwater before I put them in there. I'll try replacing the filter floss. It doesn't look bad though.
    I just hate putting that little guy through so much stress with water changes and lots of ammo-lock /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

6. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ammonia is under control. I ended up buying a new 10 gallon AGA, 15 gallons of cured salt water from Hung, and sticking a panty hose sock full of my crushed coral live sand in the bio wheel filter. Worked like a charm, and she's eating again :)