1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Alk depletion, Ca high

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nrenn, Jun 3, 2019.

1. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I am dosing Reef Fusion 1 & 2 to maintain Alk and Ca, and testing with Hanna checkers. The strange thing is I am always adding #2 to hold Alk around 10 dKh, but Ca is always in the 530-540 ppm range. It has been months since I've added #1. I'm not really sure where the alk can be going if the Ca isn't also being depleted. Not sure what Mg measurement is, it is supposedly part of the #1 solution, so that hasn't been getting dosed either. I have a test kit ordered, and new reagents for the checkers (I noticed floaters in the Alk reagent, maybe it is contaminated and giving bad readings)
    Everything seems healthy, but not seeing much SPS growth either, except for the various montis which are doing very well. Might toss the Fusion, and go with BRS 2-part soon

2. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    For alk I prefer using Arm & Hammer baking soda. A 13.5 pound bag is only $5 or $6 at Costco. I still use BRS for calcium though. I haven't been as willing to experiment on the Ca chloride side of the equation... not quite as comfortable using an ice melt product in my reef. Although I do dose a stump remover product from the hardware store to increase nitrates.