1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Algae outbreak

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Holtzman, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Holtzman

Holtzman

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can old Actinic Blubs cause an algae outbreak? Bulbs are almost a year old.

2. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im not sure if an old bulb can cause an algae outbreak, but i do know that new ones can, especially if you get in the lower k bulbs. cant hurt to get a new bulb anyways.

id look for a nutrient problem first.

3. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What kind of algae is it? If you don't know, do you have any pictures?

4. Holtzman

Holtzman

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A little bit of string algae and alot of brown dust like algae on live rock and sand.

5. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hair algae and diatoms?  Brown Dust/Diatoms are common in a new tank or if your tank is/has just cycled.  I had horrible hair algae for maybe a month and half after my tank crash.  I think you need to look for excess nutrients somewhere in your tank.  What is your water testing at for phosphates and nitrate?  Is there any ammonia that would indicate maybe your tank is cycling?  I've heard of old bulbs causing algae outbreaks, but not old actinics bulbs.  For one thing, they're not often on for very long compared to the white bulbs.  I'm not really sure that an old white bulb can cause an outbreak, but I suppose it's possible.  I'd look to other causes first though.  Look at your water change regimen, the water you're using to make-up fresh SW etc.
    Posted By joedebholtzman on 03/13/2008 3:50 PM
    A little bit of string algae and alot of brown dust like algae on live rock and sand.