1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

algae on the glass

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PotRoast, Apr 8, 2009.

1. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    It seems like I have to clean the glass almost everyday. It gets realy cloudy in three days. Is this normal?

I feed once a day, and I don't think I feed too much. I think anything I overfeed is taken care of by multiple stars, shrimp, crabs, etc.

My water parameters are bulletproof. I have a clean up crew but they really can't keep up with the daily grind. Adding more snails will only anger me as they bulldoze my corals.

What else....I don't get much algae growth in my sump downstairs really. The sump is lit by a couple compact flo cool bulb bought at walmart and discussed at length in previous posts on this board.

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have just started running into this same problem within the last week, have had my system up for a little over 2 months now. Parameters are also checking out great for me. I do have a sump, but no skimmer, yet. Will arrive on Friday. Also adding a pre-filter sock on Friday, or whenever it comes in the mail. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)
    EDIT: I suppose it is worth mentioning that I use RO/DI water going in, and top off about 1/2 gallon per day with this water. Only have a bicolor blenny, handful of snails/hermits, and 4 coral frags. All of the corals open up nicely except the leather, he is still hiding (although it has only been 3 days since intro.)

3. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Is there any light from house lights or sunlight hitting your tank? Also is the algae on all sides of glass or does it seem to build up more just on front? Bulbs could play a factor if they are older or a cheap brand sometimes the light intensity decreases in half the time 2-4 months.

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For me it is all over. There is light from the house the hits it, but it is rarely ever on. There is no outside light reaching it at all. The bulbs or coralife PC bulbs, just purchased when I set up the tank (again a little over 2 months)

5. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would add some sort of phosphate remover to your tank. I use pura phoslock in a reactor, but the jar does have a pouch you can fill. Even if your phosephates are testing low it could be because all the algae is using it up so it shows low readings. Another thing to keep in mind is that it is a new tank and it needs to cycle everything out which takes time. It may suck to look at your tank now but eventually it will get better.

6. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By PotRoast on 04/08/2009 10:44 AM
    It seems like I have to clean the glass almost everyday. It gets realy cloudy in three days. Is this normal? I feed once a day, and I don't think I feed too much. I think anything I overfeed is taken care of by multiple stars, shrimp, crabs, etc. My water parameters are bulletproof. I have a clean up crew but they really can't keep up with the daily grind. Adding more snails will only anger me as they bulldoze my corals. What else....I don't get much algae growth in my sump downstairs really. The sump is lit by a couple compact flo cool bulb bought at walmart and discussed at length in previous posts on this board.
    Curious - how long has the tank been up and running?
    Algae blooms are part of the natural aging of a tank, within reason.
    Your tests, nitrates and phospates? Silicates?  All good?
    I'm going through some algae issues as well that I'm trying to get a handle on, but my tank is just over 30 days old so I'm learning patience.
    -Eric

7. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I've been up and for a year. Corals since July. Fish since Decemeber.
    Also running GFO and carbon.

For you, my experience is that Initial algae blooms are to be expected. Diatoms for sure, excess phosphate release from rocks, etc. Just be patient. Get some blue leg crabs also. In 90 days you will forget you ever had these problems.

8. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    counting down

Day 2

LOL

9. Luukosian

Luukosian

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I clean my glass probably every 3-5 days or so, I think algae on the glass is a normal part of a reef tank. If its so bad you have to clean it everyday there might be a small problem. Parameters still might measure 0 because the algae is using up the nutrients. Are you running your gfo in a reactor or in a bag? Could be a number of things but if its just a little algae on the glass you can get off with a mag float I wouldn't stress over it if your coral is colored up and doing well.