1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

AJ`s Build Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AJ, May 22, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How about pics so I can see specifically what you mean... :)

--AJ

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you will have to wait about 3-5 months for them, since thats about as long as we had to wait for yours haha

3. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well since it wont let me post the pics from photobucket, you get a link. i dont know why it wont let me though, every time it hit submit it refreshes the page an doesnt do anything. and on IE i can't get anything to load up on the top bar to even get into the posts. sucks using windows 2000 haha

[​IMG]

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There...fixed it for ya. :) Thanks for the pic.

5. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    my rock work dont come up very high. I wanted to leave room for things to grow up before they were out of water. my tank right now is pretty crowded though. i think i do need more rock in it now from looking at it a little more. your 3 columns should be ok and you got some pretty good height to yours. still love the idea of the zoa/paly garden

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A quick update...there's some changes going on with the rock work...making more horizontal surfaces, but keeping the core pillar design. I got rods in much of it and it's worked well. Got a 13" masonry bit from Menards and cut the rock like butter. They are not solid enough to grab one rock and have it support the weight of all connected rocks (at least I wouldn't try that), but they're certainly not going anywhere...which is obviously the point. Using some epoxy and rubble to fill in a few areas and cover some areas where the rod is visible. Ordered the epoxy today so I should be able to finish later this week. Also ordered some aragonite oolite and silicone for the sump, got the glass from the glass shop and the new trim from Pet's Playhouse. Should have the sump finished within a week...hopefully the stand too. The lumber is in the garage...just gotta assemble it. Also ordered some parts for my crap vacuum (basically a Magnum 350 filter modified to allow me to clean all the crap up that settles on the bottom of the tank). Also ordered some parts for the skimmer to put it in tip-top shape. Should have the skimmer running soon. Everything is really coming together. I believe that the tank is cycled...just watching it for a few more days to verify. I have a few corals in there now and everything seems to be doing fine. Should have more pics later this week.

--AJ

7. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Dood, please elaborate on the Mag 350 filter/vacuum. I have been thinking of doing the same thing but ran into a few design issues the first couple times I tried it....

8. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll post pics tonight. It's fully built and I think it would have worked OK had it not been for a bad O-ring on the Mag 350.

--AJ

9. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is a little late, but I was reading how your 75 end shattered when you drilled it. What does tempered glass mean? How do you know if a tank is tempered or not?

10. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "Tempered" means that something has been treated with a heating process to make it stronger. You typically hear about it with both glass and metals. Bottoms panels of aquariums are almost always tempered, that's why you see people drilling the sides of tanks but almost never the bottoms. The next question usually is "so how did the get the holes in the bottom of my reef ready tank?", and the answer to that is that they drilled the holes, then tempered the glass. In an aquarium, you can typically tell based on the size of the tank in relation to the thickness of the glass. 75 gallon and larger tanks should be 3/8 or 1/2" thick..even thicker for really big tanks. My 75 was made out of 1/4" glass. Now, that can mean one of two things. Since I bought it from someone that keeps reptiles, I knew that it was either a terrarium tank or tempered glass. Since I was putting baffles in it, I felt OK about using a terrarium tank and I was just hoping that the glass was not tempered...but alas, it was. When you break tempered glass, it's like breaking a bubble...the entire thing shatters at the same time into small, usually square-ish pieces (as seen in the pic). Anyway, it was no fun to have it break on me when I was drilling it...scared the crap outta me! Anyway, a member if www.iowa-aquaria.com (a freshwater club) gave me a piece of glass large enough to get a new end cut and I picked the new end up from the glass shop just the other day. So I'm going to attempt drilling a tank again and hopefully I'll have more success than the last time. It's a great looking sump..it turned out really good...if I can just get a new end on it.

I hope this information was helpful.

--AJ

11. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    http://www.salt-city.org/showthread.php?t=9542
    Or you can always cross your fingers like I did on my 29 gallon tank I'm getting ready to use as one of my sumps!

12. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, should I be worried about my 40g breeder being tempered? It was just a normal aquarium I bought from work. I was planning on drilling three holes in the back but now I'm nervous

13. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It should be 3/8" glass...and I'm sure you'll be fine. The thicker the glass, the better as thicker glass is easier to drill.

--AJ

14. agent-o2

agent-o2 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My 55 Gal tank has a sticker warning that the bottom is tempered and not to drill.

15. Kylie

Kylie Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I'll check for any warnings and see how thick the glass is. I would imagine someone from work would have warned me before I got it knowing I was going to drill.. but it could just have easily slipped their minds. Eitherway, thanks for the info!

16. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By PotRoast on 03/04/2010 08:38 AM
    Dood, please elaborate on the Mag 350 filter/vacuum. I have been thinking of doing the same thing but ran into a few design issues the first couple times I tried it....
    Yeah - maybe throw some info into this or another thread.
    I use a HOT 250 to clean as well - simply a modified grommet on some clear tubing and wedged into the intake tube.  Great for cleaning but not a permanent mod as I use the filter for a number of tasks - currently filtering a 20g for my baby clowns to grow in.
    Oh...and more pics of the tank? 
    -Eric

17. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Yea those hot magnum filters are sweet, I have used them for years. With the cleaning vac atachment and a micron filter you can make short work of vacuming a tank.

18. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Update needed w/ pics

19. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah...I do need to update this...I'll see if I can get some in the next few days. LOTS of algae right now. I don't have carbon/gfo hooked up yet and no macro growing and no CUC. I need to get that resolve quickly. Should have some tangs in there by weekend.

--AJ

20. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

AJ,

Did you post a list somewhere in this thread regarding a preliminary stocking list?

More to the point - what type(s) of tangs are you planning on?  I would really like to have another tang but found out I went about it the wrong way and am now stuck with just a Powder Blue [​IMG].  It already killed another tang so I'm done until I decide to sell him.

Thanks!

-Eric