1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

AJ`s Build Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AJ, May 22, 2009.

1. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Hay Eric,
    Let me know when ( if ) you sell that powder blue because I'll take it off your hands.
    -Bill

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Initial fish stock list will be a a couple of false perc clowns, yellow tang, purple tang, powder blue tang, hippo tang, coral beauty, red hawkfish.

--AJ

3. matt the fiddler

matt the fiddler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    AJ... Catching up a little late here, was a but too busy to post when my tank was on repair, and life was crazy /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

but EXCELLENT CHOICE OF BULBS!!! The 20K xms with VHO actinics is hard to beat..

Are you planning on your order of tangs, as you introduce them for territory disputes?

kylie, even if the tank's manufacturer says it isn't tempered... don't 100% trust it.
    I went back and forth with a major company recently... and I could tell the people I was talking to didn't really know anything.... finally I got their chief engineer.. and the moral of the story was "we dont' really know each tank"

BUT if you have a polarizing filter, you can check to see if there are tempering patterns first using the filter- it is the only sure fire way (next to breaking a pane) to tell if it is tempered or not.

4. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    That sounds like a lot of tangs for a 90gal. I have never been able to pull off more than two without a deth match. I believe that no matter what you do the yellow tang and the purple are going to hate each other. Just my two cents.
    -Bill

5. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

Gotta love Tangs!
    I've always read that with multiple Tangs, if they're introduced at the same time into a smaller tank before territories are established there's a "chance" they'll all get along.
    I've also read that Tangs will most likely attack others with the same body type, i.e. the Yellow and Purple, and that the Purple is one of the more aggressive specimens.
    My second observation is what got me into trouble in late January - I introduced a smaller but nearly perfect Purple Tang with my Powder Blue...dead within 48 hours. [​IMG]
    So much for the dissimilar body types.  So much for the Purple being more aggressive.  I've since read in otherplaces the PBT needs to be the last Tang introduced.  My eternal newbie mistake jumping the gun for a pretty fish! [​IMG]
    In hindsight I should have removed the PBT to a QT, re-arranged the rockwork, established the Purple for a week or so then introced them to each other.
    So yeah, that is alot of Tangs for a 90g tank but if introduced at the same time most of them should get along.
    I realize that my 48" tank isn't enough to house an adult Tang and am planning on rotating stock for juveniles as they age.
    Have the fish been purchased yet?  Buying online or having a local store order them for you?
    -Eric

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All of these fish have been acquired and have all been in the same tank for a few weeks now.  No dead/mutilated fish yet.  If they can get along in the cramped quarters they are in now, I'm confident they should do just fine in my display.
    --AJ

7. matt the fiddler

matt the fiddler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    oh ok- didn't realize you had them in QT

The other way is introduce the most aggressive last.... give the peaceful ones a chance to get a headstart.

8. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Any updates????

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah...I'm a little behind on updates, eh? I got a lot going on outside of my build and I have not had a chance to do updates. Once I get caught up on my Spring Fest stuff, I'll put some updates out..OK?

--AJ

10. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Pics?