1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

AJ`s Build Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AJ, May 22, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK...I've been telling everyone that I would start a thread when I got started on the build, so here it is.  I'm still missing a few parts that I need, but I have enough to get started for now.  There's going to be a lot of experimenting along the way to see what works and what doesn't so I have no idea when I will be ready to actually stock it.
    I've been buying pieces and parts for the last 4-6 months so why don't I start with a parts list of what I have on hand to use for this setup.  It's been a mixture of new and used....I've bought used when I could get good quality, condition and price...new when I couldn't.
    Tank and Stand
    Aqueon 90 gallon Reef Ready (just picked it up today)
    Stand and canopy are oak and were built by previous owner.  The stand is taller than standard aquarium stands which puts the tank at a nice level, but will also make it a little more difficult to work on.
    [​IMG]
    Lights & Ballasts
    PFO dual 400W ballast
    2 x Workhorse 120W ballast
    2 x XM 400W 20,000K
    2 x Super Actinic 120W T12 VHO
    [​IMG]
    Water Treatment
    MR-1 Protein Skimmer w/ Mag 9 pump
    H&S 150 Calcium Reactor w/ Milwaukee Regulator with selenoic and 10 lb CO2
    PhosBan Reactor 150
    2 x 65 gallon horizontal tanks - one for clean water and one for mixing salt water
    Hurricane Dual Home/Reef RO/DI unit
    3 x 400 watt Jabo Yeager heaters
    Controller
    Neptune Systems AC3
    Temp probe
    2 x pH probes
    2 x DC8
    Wireless G network bridge
    Water Movement
    8 x Hydor Koralia 4 (no, I won't be using all of them....it's long story)
    Rio Plus 3100 (for mixing salt in salt mixing tank)
    1 x Hydor Koralia 3
    2 x MaxiJet 1200 (I'm thinking some sort of utility type purpose tbd)
    1 x MaxiJet 600 (ditto)
    Mag 7
    Sump
    To be deisnged and built from a 75 gallon tank
    Plenty of 1/4" glass for baffles

What I am missing right now are moonlights an ATO solution, and a beefy return pump.  I'm looking at the Neptune Systems Lunar Module, but I'm not sure that those single LEDs provide decent moonlight.  I know the ReefKeeper uses 3 LED pods which seemed like a better approach to me.  Anyone reading this use the AC3 Lunar Module?  What's your thoughts?
    As far as the ATO goes, I know that there are lots of solutions out there...I'm just not sure which one I'm going to go with yet.
    As for the return pump, I'm planning on doing a basement sump, so I need to sit down with a pencil and paper, tape measure and head loss calculator to see what kind of pump output I need so that I can see which pumps I should be on the lookout for. 
    So...that leads me to where I am today.  I have my RO/DI unit installed and producing water.  I purchased this from Air, Water and Ice.  They were very helpful in assisting me in troubleshooting an issue which turned out to be a faulty membrane.  They shipped a replacement membrane and problem solved.  It's currently hooked up to the refrigerator ice maker and water and working nicely.  I have one of the two 65 gallon horizontal tanks cleaned out (scrubbed outside and sanitized inside) and float switch installed.  I still plan on installing an overflow bulkhead and tubing so just in case the float valve fails, then the overflowed water goes where I want it and not all over the floor.  I'm currently in the process of building the shelving for the water tanks.  I'll take pics of that when I'm done.  Well, that's it for now..I'll take more pics when I have more to take pics of.
    --AJ  

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did you make the cabinet and hood or did you buy it that way? It looks really nice :)
    EDIT: Once again got ahead of myself and didn;t read first! Looks great though!

3. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +397 / 6 / -0
    Looks good AJ! That stand is sweet.

4. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

AJ looks like you have all the fixings for a great set up. If you need help on the auto top off, I will hopefully be on the IC tank tour and you can check out mine and I believe JB has one also, just to get some Ideas.

-Rick-

5. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    AJ,
    'Bout time!
    Naw - just kidding [​IMG]  I remember talking about your tank in February and you said you were planning on taking your time and doing it right.
    Curious - are you planning on painting the back of the tank?  If so, I had great luck w/Krylon Fusion along with many others.
    I wish that I could do a remote sump as it makes the display so quiet...
    Keep taking the pics and keep us up to date!
    -Eric

6. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will be following along with this one. I am pretty sure that this is going to be a great tank

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone!

I am planning on painting the back and bottom with black Krylon Fusion.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for the ATO. I should be able to do a gravity fed solution as my RO/DI water storage will be at a higher level than my sump. If I could incorporate all that into my controller, that would be great. Eventually, I'm going to try to figure out some sort of an automated water change solution that changes a few gallons a day. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard to do, but I need to do some research on the AC3 automation. The reason why I bring this up when talking about the ATO is that is because the ATO would have to be disabled when the automated water changes were happening.

Anyway, I'm sure there's going to be lots more questions and changes to my plans as I see them today...but I think the process of figuring a better way than what you originally planned is half the fun.

--AJ

8. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nothing like a brand spanking new tank to get excited about :) Love the stand and canopy.......

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks...how's your new tank coming along?  I would love to see some pics!
    --AJ

10. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I ordered the return pump today. A Reeflo Dart. I picked this pump for the following reasons:
    1) It looks like it has the power to give me a little more than 600 GPH given the vertical and horizontal distance that it will need to cover (11 ft vertical and 8 feet horizontal).
    2) It's more energy efficient than many of the other pumps in it's class
    3) It's external so I won't have to worry about as much heating of the water
    4) I got a good deal on it.

One more thing to scratch off my need to buy list...

--AJ

11. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The pump has still not arrived...should be here on Monday.

I was watching some of the LA Fish Guys videos (thanks for pointing these out to me Eric) this weekend and heard him talk about the PVC unions so that parts of the plumbing can be removed and replaced with ease...specifically pumps. As much as I hate to think about a pump going bad, it seems like it's kind of one of those things that you should plan for when, not if. I went out and bought a 2" and 1 1/2" union today for that purpose..they are a little expensive, but I think it's the right thing to do in the long run.

--AJ

12. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pump deal fell thru so I'm back to looking for a pump. Apparently the guy left it up to UPS to send out the pump and they sent it to the wrong address and the guy that got it is not willing to send it back. At least I got a refund, but that does push me back a little.

I made progress on the shelving for the water storage tanks this weekend and should have it standing by the end of the day. I'll see if I can get some pics uploaded of that tonight.

--AJ

13. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The water storage system is not quite done yet, but it's coming together. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

I still need to reinforce the legs, put a diagonal brace on the back, and put lag bolts in to the shelf supports. I'm still not sure if I'm going to paint it or not (just to be vain I guess..lol) but I better figure that out soon as it has to happen before the containers get filled. I also plan to anchor it to the floor joist above just for safety. If that shelf collapsed and fell on someone, that's a half a ton of water and it would put a world of hurt on you. Each container is 65 gallons. The top will be for RO/DI water, the bottom for mixing saltwater. The top already has a float valve installed and the RO/DI line will run along the floor joist above. The RO/DI unit is about 15 feet away on the other side of this area so it doesn't have that far to go. The line is already attached to the RO/DI unit so it's just a matter of connecting the line and turning the ball valve to let the water flow into the storage container. I also have a 1/4" overflow line that I'll be installing so if the float valve fails, it runs to my sump instead of all over the floor. It will have a check valve on it to prevent ants or spiders from crawling into the storage container. My goal is to figure out a way that I can automate water changes (like 2 gallons a day) so I will need to have mixed saltwater on hand at all times. I'll put a bulkhead into the top of the bottom container that I'll run directly from the top container so I can just open a ball valve to fill it with water. There's not a ton of space to work above the bottom container so adding the salt will probably be the most difficult task. I have to figure out what I'm going to do about creating a sealed access that I can run cords through (maybe use a rubber cork? Drill out the center and split it down the side so I can slip a cord into it?) as I have a mixing pump that will go in the bottom tank. I'm considering hooking it up in such a way that I can also use it to pump water out of the container in addition to mixing too...more on that when I get to that part of the plumbing. Anyway, that's my current progress...one step closer.

--AJ

14. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Been a little while so I thought I would post a progress update. Getting closer, but not moving fast. I got 1/4 line running from RO/DI unit to shelving area. Once I anchor down the shelves and get the initial storage tank plumbing hooked up, I'm ready to snap the tubing into the float valve and start filling. I finished the shelves and painted white with a primer. I'll probably give a coat of latex before I fill the tanks.

I got the wire in place for the two 20 amp circuits that I'm running for the tank. They are not hooked up to the breaker box yet, but the conduit and 12 gauge wire is in place.

I have some stuff to move out of the way where the sump is going to be, then I'm going to have my friend come over and help be figure out what I'm going to do about my walls. I'll probably have him fir it out and put up studs so I have something to attach the outlet boxes and everything else that I'm going to hang off the wall to. I doubt that I'll hang drywall, probably just plywood. It's a utility room so I'm not going for fancy.

After the last pump deal fell thru, I go some different pumps on the way (Reeflo Dart again - 2 of them - one for backup). Should arrive this week.

Created a template for the acrylic bottom. B-Rad (Rick) is going to be cutting that for me. I should be able to pick it up during the IC tank tour. One good catch that I didn't think about was he's going to make it two pieces instead of just one so I can make sure and get it in place without damaging it. Thanks for catching that Rick and Jason.

Got some sump ideas drawn up, but still reviewing design resources to make sure that I get it right the first time. I'm sure I'll change it another few times before I finish it.

Making all that food and seeing CyberJester's tank really makes me anxious to get mine up and running. Hopefully I can dedicate some time to get more stuff done soon.

--AJ

15. ckoeppel

ckoeppel Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's going to be a sweet set up AJ!  Can't wait to see the final product!

Chris

16. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks Chris! Hopefully it's up and running (at least cycling) soon.
    --AJ

17. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I got the in overflow return plumbing set up tonight so that it's T'd off instead of using the standard elbow. The only thing left is to drill the 1/8" anti-siphon hole in it. I left the return line a little taller so that this will go over the top of the overflow instead of thru the notches (which I have not yet knocked out).  Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

Progress is slow, but there is just so much to do...almost intimidating, but fun.
    --AJ

18. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Progress is slow, but you will be happy when you get it done. I am even thinking of changing the water storage that I have to something more like what you are doing. Looking nice keep the pic coming.

19. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My wife got me the Neptune Systems Lunar Module for Father's Day...one more thing to add to the list of things for the build.

--AJ

20. mralanjones

mralanjones Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    this looks like the start of a nice tank. my tank would have been up by now thus the reason my tank looks like it does. can't wait to see the end result.