1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

AJ`s 12g NanoCube

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AJ, Oct 22, 2008.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey folks.  Just filled my NanoCube up on Friday with water and sand.  Added the rock and Kenya Tree on Monday after the water cleared a bit.  A little crab was on the rock when I got it so he was added on Monday too.  The Domino Damsel was added on Tuesday when I was told that I needed a fish for proper cycling.  There's still white power on the back and stuff, but here's the beginning of my setup.  I'll try to post more pics of the progression over time.
    [​IMG]

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You just need a source of ammonia for your tank to cycle. Many people use a piece of cocktail shrimp to cycle their tank instead of a live fish, as it's rather inhumane for a fish to go through a cycle, even if it is a hardy fish like a damsel. Dominoes will get VERY aggressive as they get bigger, they are probably the most aggressive damsel I have seen, even chasing/attacking your hand when you put it in the tank. Also, unless you want a whole tank of Kenya Tree, make sure to watch it because at some point the tips will start to break off and float away spreading new trees all over your tank.  Just take the tips that are ready to break off and toss them.

Nice looking rock, btw.....

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info Phish!  I'll keep that in mind.

4. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    good looking tank

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you!  /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

6. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    phishcrazee is very correct in what he said about the kenya tree,i have been into salt(fish only)off and on for over 15 years and just started getting into corals(less than a year).kenya tree was my first coral and from one,i now have atleast 20 of them. it seems like they are one of the weeds of the sea!!!!!!

7. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You don't need fish to cycle your tank... You can cycle a tank with just live rock if you want. This is probably the best way. All you are doing during a tank cycle is growing bacteria. Live rock is a great seed source for that. If you have a fuge, throw in some Mineral/Miracle mud. They're full of bacteria and other critters that are great for your tank. Putting fish in is just inhumane during that time period.
    I'd also suggest cycling with your lights at half cycle (off would be best, but you already threw coral in there...).  Your final week algal bloom is going to piss you off.  It always pisses me off /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

8. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the warning. Anything that I can plan to do after the algae bloom to clean it up? I've heard hermit crabs, snails, certain fish, etc. What does everyone recommend to keep algae under control?

--Aaron

9. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The best things are time and a low light cycle. Removing it is pointless because it'll just grow back. You need to minimize the amount of nutrient export by the algae so that your bacteria community can grow in its place

10. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Right now, it's on a 9 hour cycle. What should I go to?

11. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Look'n good Aaron!

12. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Jason!  /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

13. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

need new pics. 

14. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    You are doing well for your first tank. And it's a lot more challenging to keep a nano tank going than a bigger tank...

15. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Updated pic.

[​IMG]

I didn't notice until afterward that I had taken so many pics that my star polyps in the center had closed up...and the sun coral is not open either. I'll try to post another pic that shows them open. I want to drill some holes in the rock to put the frags into instead of having them down in front in the sand..but the placement of the anemone is going to make that tricky.

16. MULE

MULE Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thats a nice tank.May I ask how many lbs. of rock and sand you have in there?

17. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks MULE. I think 20 lbs CaribSea live sand and 12 lbs rock. I would like a little more rock. A few small pieces for up front for the star polyps to spread out on and a few more to build up the back a little more.

--AJ

18. champ23

champ23 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks awesome...wish i my tank was that clean, mine has a bunch of algae along the botton becuz i dont like cleaning along the glass. and i'm now looking for a rbta.

19. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    very nice looking tank.

20. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just rearranged things a bit so it doesn't look like a frag tank with some live rock. Well, it still kind of does, but at least I think it looks better than it did. I inadvertantly stirred up the water and there was a bunch of algae specs on the glass but I didn't want to wait for it to settle down so things look a bit speckled. Anyway, here's a pic. The clowns have taken to the anemone and I think they also tested out the frogspawn a little and got stung! They have black specks on them which according to most of my reading, seems to be from getting too close to an agressive coral. It's coming along. Thanks to Nick and Steph for the great deal on the candy cane at in the top corner and thanks to JB for for GSP. I really like them both. Now if I can just keep the anemone far enough away from the candy cane, I'll be in business. I think some more rearranging is in my future.   I gotta say, there's been alot of changes to things in the last two months.
    [​IMG]