1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Aiptasia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BigBlue, Jan 27, 2009.

1. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I found one of these little @#$%^ in my tank today. Anyone have place where I can buy something to kill them off fast? I want to nip this in the butt before it gets out of control. I looked on Foster and Smith but they didn't have anything.

2. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can use Joe's Juice or Aiptasia X for getting rid of these.
    However, a thick Kalk solution through a syringe will have the same effect, if you have some kalk around.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got a peppermint shrimp and he eats them right up.  I've heard that not all of them will eat them, so YMMV.

4. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Kalk, pickling lime, or you can spend a ton of money on that Aiptasia X stuff

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Which in my opinion is well worth it because it's safer and more effective.  Besides, $10 isn't really a "Ton" of money in this hobby...
    -JB

6. Big Country

Big Country Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've had really good luck with Aiptaisia-X...I first thought I could mechanically remove them, but they are quick and I have since read that when they are threatened, they may begin releasing offspring.  The Aiptaisia-X goes a long way also...I got it from Aquacave.com or FostersandSmith.com (don't recall which, but it was in the past 3 or 4 months).

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've found Aiptasia-X to be very effective and for the amount that you have to use, you could potentially treat thousands from a single bottle. I also have a peppermint shrimp and it handles any new aiptasia that I've had come up. Just last night I noticed a baby aiptasia on a new coral that I bought from a LPS and this morning, it was already gone.

--AJ

8. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I found some Aiptasia X on Aquacave for 10 bucks so I think I'm going to go with that. Sounds like that stuff is the way to go.

9. gravattj

gravattj Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I can vouch for the peppermint shrimp route. Haven't had a single one since I put that bugger in the tank.

10. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    10 bucks is to much for Aiptaisia-X,hell i,d pay 20 bucks for the stuff and still think i got a good deal,the stuff works great!!!!!

11. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I vote on the Peppermint shrimp.

That is all I have ever used. They destroy anti-pasta. (ha ha)

Plus, their eyes glow red at night under actinics. Can Anitpasta-X do that?

12. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've had no problems using Kalk and backing that up with peppermint shrimp as a long term solution.

13. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    kalk and peppermint shrimp are both a crap shoot. Only a certain type of peppermint will eat aptasia. The ones I bought wouldnt eat it. Kalk doesn't work well either. I'd try that aptasia x actually.

14. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By PotRoast on 01/28/2009 06:29 AM
    I vote on the Peppermint shrimp. That is all I have ever used. They destroy anti-pasta. (ha ha) Plus, their eyes glow red at night under actinics. Can Anitpasta-X do that? My peppermint shrimp just sit there and look at Aiptasia they are totally useless when it comes to that stuff all three of them little buggers.  That said I have some Aiptasia-X and have used it, that stuff works!!  Follow the directions and you will have instant results, I am a believer!! 
    [​IMG]

15. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I haven't seen an aiptasia in my display tank in 5 months. I got my peppermints 5 months ago /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif I must have gotten the hungry ones!

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have heard/read that there are various types of shrimp sold as peppermint shrimp, some being less or not effective for this purpose. You have to make sure you get the true Lysmata wurdenmanni.

http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/peppermint_shrimp.htm
    http://www.fantasyreef.com/showthread.php?t=3758

17. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By matthewJ on 01/28/2009 08:39 PM
    I have heard/read that there are various types of shrimp sold as peppermint shrimp, some being less or not effective for this purpose. You have to make sure you get the true Lysmata wurdenmanni.
    http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/peppermint_shrimp.htm
    http://www.fantasyreef.com/showthread.php?t=3758

18. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am starting to get some aiptasia in my tank and was reading about the peppermint shrimp.  I have a 46g bowfront with 2 cleaner shrimp and a pistol shrimp, all get along fine with eachother and the fish.  Could I add 1 or 2 peppermint shrimp into the tank without it being food?  I would like to go this way instead of chemicals if possible.  Thanks.

19. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    FWIW, I have 2 cleaner shrimp and 3 peppermint and they seem to do fine but I have tons of LR and its a 90!??!? Not sure that helps.

20. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Haha, that article you posted suggests filling a syringe with boiling water and blasting the Aiptasia with it!