1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

aiptasia problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    good news... my phosphates are down to zero and things are looking good on the algae front.:)))

bad news... ok, I think what I have is called aiptasia. brown branchlike things that are coming out of my rocks. Started with 1 or 2 now about half a dozen or so in my tank. They close up whenever I try to pull them off. Darn things are growing right in the middle of one of my corals. Anybody have success getting rid of theirs???

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Aiptasia are really hard to eradicate, but they are pretty easy to control.

There are some decent products like Aiptasia-X, but they don't do any good against the ones you can't see/reach.

I think the best option is to add a predator to your tank. You have a few options:

1) Peppermint Shrimp
    Pros: cheap, available locally
    Cons: hit or miss

2) Copperband Butterfly
    Pros: usually available locally
    Cons: expensive, hard to keep, hit or miss

3) Berghia Nudibranchs
    Pros: voracious aiptasia eaters (it's all they eat)
    Cons: VERY expensive, not available locally, may turn into expensive tank food.

Good luck!

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    JB is dead on.

I had them in my old tank. I used a 2 attack approach on them.

I got a syringe & needs from the farm store & injected kalkwasser directly into the big ones.

I also bought 5 peppermint shrimp.

After about a month or so I was aptaisia free.

Nice side benefit of the Kalk is that is also helps keep your ph, alk, & kalk up.

4. gabzak

gabzak Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have not used the peppermint shrimp approach but did go the Copperband Butterfly approach and had great success in little time, I would stay away from the "joes juice" or "aptasia x" these do kill the visiable aptasia's but once they feel attacked  they dispurse eggs which causes more spread. The Butterfly is a great fish fish to watch and they mind their own business... Good Luck Aptasia's suck

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 29 gallon tank so don't think I can do the butterfly fish approach, correct??? I kinda wanted one and was told probably wouldn't work for that small a tank.

I do have one cleaner shrimp (not a peppermint shrimp) in there now that doesn't seem to be doing any good against them. would a peppermint shrimp possibly do better??? Guess I could try adding a peppermint shrimp or could try injecting. I'm a little afraid of the injecting approach after seeing the egg laying post. In general a little leary of injecting anything in the tank haven't done that yet.

Thanks for helping out!!

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had some aiptasia in my nano and I used Aiptasia-X and Peppermint shrimp to get rid of them. I have not had any since. You don't have to inject them with the Aiptasia-X, just squirt some of the oral disk. In fact, the applicators that come with the bottle have blunt tips. They will likely try to retreat into the rock, but the stuff will still work. If nothing else, I think that it damages them enough so that the peppermint shrimp can get to them without getting stung.

I don't think that there is anywhere locally that sells Aiptasia-X, but I have a brand new bottle that you're welcome to use some of. It just takes a very small amount. Let me know.

--AJ

7. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I have had outstanding results with peppermint shrimp. One or two in your 29 will clean them right out. Just make sure they are the lysmata wurdmani species. If you get them from a reliable dealer like liveaquaria.com you'll be okay. When the aptaisia is gone they will clean up any scraps of fish food that are left over.

Mark

8. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    copperband butterfly.

9. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have had good luck with AptasiaX, I have been able to keep them under control for a year or so, about twice a week I will 'kill' 3 or 4. For me thats acceptable.

10. gabzak

gabzak Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I believe I picked my bottle of Aptasia X up at Adams Aquatics in Des Moines Iowa

11. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nobody in CR carries it that I'm aware of.

--AJ

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks AJ for the offer! That's very nice of you. I don't think I"ll be needing it though.

Good news... I got a tip from someone about using Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime powder ( I picked some up at HyVee) and mixing it with water. 1/2 cup tank water with 1 cup powder. Put it in a syringe, shot it at the little pests and it worked!!!! Yay! aiptasia free again:)

13. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, that works too. Glad you got rid of them before they got out of control.

--AJ