1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Aiptasia infested tanks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kyle, Dec 8, 2008.

1. kyle

kyle Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [color=#0000ff>Why is it when you go to a LFS looking for frags or corals they have aiptasias in about every tank.They sell the remedy but don't treat their own tanks.So everytime you make a purchase you have to watch closely for about a month to make sure no hitch hikers were onboard. i would die of embarassment if I gave  or traded frags with aiptasias on them.Easy to kill off, so no excuse for spreading them.  Just me I guess. [img]http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]Why is it when you go to a LFS looking for frags or corals they have aiptasias in about every tank.They sell the remedy but don't treat their own tanks.So everytime you make a purchase you have to watch closely for about a month to make sure no hitch hikers were onboard. i would die of embarassment if I gave  or traded frags with aiptasias on them.Easy to kill off, so no excuse for spreading them.  Just me I guess.

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey Kyle, easy to kill yes, tough to keep from coming back. If you havethe secret here please tell.
    Did you see some on 22nd street or 42nd street?
    Hey I don't thnk we have met. Are you coming to the next meeting?

3. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Was told that all the tanks in one lfs share a sump that spreads it throughout everything so no matter how hard they try the just cant get it all out of there system. Even when they do the get some new stuff that has it and by the time they realize it it is to late the entire system is compromised again.

4. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    IMO, I would argue this point with them. I have had Aptasia in my agressive tank for a year and have had trouble getting rid of it. I have no aptasia in my reef, frag tank or sump and it is a centralized system. I don't think they pass through a sump, but they could be setup differently than me.

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think you should ask for a 20% discount... Haha, I was in Petland (Not buying from this dirty puppy mill supporter, just looking while I waited for my sushi to be rolled /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif) the other day browsing and their tanks are completely infested. It was disgusting

6. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By h2so4hurts on 12/09/2008 09:52 AM
    I think you should ask for a 20% discount... Haha, I was in Petland (Not buying from this dirty puppy mill supporter, just looking while I waited for my sushi to be rolled /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif) the other day browsing and their tanks are completely infested. It was disgusting
    didn't think they had sw fish?

7. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The one in Iowa city has a wall of 12x12" cubes and a big SW display in the middle with tangs, butterflies, and rays. 2 or 3 cubes have coral. Haha, I did see that their LR is $4.99/lb if you buy 50lbs or more. That's the best price I've seen in this area. But again, don't support puppy mills...

8. kyle

kyle Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry if this hit a nerve, not my intention.I find it amazing when you see several full grown aiptasias in a tank with an abundance of immature ones.Seems like more time needs to be spent on maintainence.I know when I find any I kill them on sight.The crabs love the carcases. LOL

9. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By h2so4hurts on 12/09/2008 12:18 PM
    The one in Iowa city has a wall of 12x12" cubes and a big SW display in the middle with tangs, butterflies, and rays. 2 or 3 cubes have coral. Haha, I did see that their LR is $4.99/lb if you buy 50lbs or more. That's the best price I've seen in this area. But again, don't support puppy mills...
    Huh...  I have been to the one in West Des Moines a couple times looking and nothing there.  FWIW I don't support the puppy mill side either...  anyway back on topic.  [​IMG]

10. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Sea Star on 12/09/2008 03:04 PM
    Sorry if this hit a nerve, not my intention.I find it amazing when you see several full grown aiptasias in a tank with an abundance of immature ones.Seems like more time needs to be spent on maintainence.I know when I find any I kill them on sight.The crabs love the carcases. LOL
    No nerve hit that I see just good conversation. Aptasia sucks![​IMG]

11. reefgoon09

reefgoon09 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aiptasia is knowwhere found in my tank for the last 3 months after i put 2 peppermint shrimp in there...just lucky i guess?

12. kyle

kyle Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I put a peppermint shrimp(large one) in my tank too. 5 seconds later...he was protruding from the jaws of my dwarf lionfish.he was half the size of the dang lionfish!! Sheesh! LOL