1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Aggressive Royal gramma - need fish trap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beckerj3, Feb 21, 2024.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I have an adult royal gramma that I rehomed from a friend a couple years ago. He killed the mckosker wrasse I tried to add 3-6 months ago. I have decided that it is best for me to remove him from my display tank. I have a couple traps that I might try, but they are large and cumbersome. I just read about the Nyos floating fish trap. It seems like it might work. Does anyone have one of these? Does it work? They are expensive - $70. If anyone has one that I could borrow, I would appreciate it.

WDM

2. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    I have cut pop bottles and used them. I have always caught whatever fish I wanted with this. Even in my overflow where I used a smaller bottle.

3. Crowned Aquatics has a new magnetic fish trap that's gotten good reviews online. I think it's Nyos?

4. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    I've used this method for shrimp and wondered if it would work as well with fish.

5. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    It works. I have caught several different fish this way. Even in my overflow where it is nearly impossible to maneuver with a net.

6. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I was very interested in the Nyos magnetic trap. Closer look at the specs though, and its too big for my tank. Dimensions are 6x6 x 7 1/2

@Maureen@Maureen How long did it take to entice them into the bottle?

7. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes a few minutes up to an hour for most fish. I had one it took a couple of tries, I thought it would learn and not try for it again but it did when I tried the next day. Do it when they are hungry, use his favorite food and wait. I did the string long enough to go out the top of the tank to pull it up when the fish went in. I used 16 oz or smaller bottles but it all depends on how much room you have and the size of the fish. Mine was like this one.

8. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Did you get your Royal Gramma out?

9. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Not yet. I ended up making a DIY of the NYOS magnetic float trap. Finished it over the weekend, but have not tried it yet. I have a coral beauty angel that's ready to transfer to the DT. But I'm also getting an orange back wrasse at the end of the weekend. So, I'm thinking I want to add those two together in the DT. Not sure whether to get rid of the Royal gramma or put him in the sump. I've never put a fish in the sump, and I don't have a light for the sump. Plus I'm wondering if it would try to jump out of the sump.

10. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    You should post a pic, I would love to see it! Your Coral beauty and Orange back might keep the Gramma in line. I am getting a Halichoeres biocellatus and a Cirrhilabrus lubbocki this week. The lubbocki has unusual colors so I am looking forward to seeing him in person.

upload_2024-3-4_10-41-46.png

11. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Where are you getting your fish from?

12. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Blue Zoo this time. They have always been reliable for me.

13. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    When are you getting your fish?