1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advise on aquacontrollers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ckoeppel, Jul 18, 2009.

1. ckoeppel

ckoeppel Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys,
    I have been looking at aquacontrollers for a long tme and still am undecided as to which one I should get.  I like the idea of the AC3 and AC3 pro being controlled on the web, and there is a new one coming out called the apex that even sends text warnings.  I have a 125 reef set up that I would like to have the controller take care of lighting, temp, top off, capability to run a calcium reactor and currents.  Anyone have any suggestions?  What have you guys liked or disliked about yours and do you use all the capabilities available or not?
    Thanks!
    Chris

2. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Want to get in on this thread. I am thinking that a controller is going to be my next major aquarium purchase.

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've heard good things about the ReefKeepers too...but I've also heard some bad things. One good thing to note, most/all of the add-ons in the AC3 Neptune Line are compatible with the new Apex head unit. Seems like most people in the club today have the AC line of controllers...not to say that it's better, just the one that most people seem to have. This could come in handy if you need to ask someone to help you with yours or if you have questions. Now our neighboring club, BNARC, most of their members have RK controllers and seem to be very happy with them. Here's a site that gives the rundown of the different controllers that are out there. http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com/  The info looks a little dated, but its still the best comparison point that I found when I was shopping around.  Hope this info helps you with your decision. It's not an easy one...there's a lot of comparing to do.

--AJ

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    There is a live thread right now asking about Reefkeepers. Billbigbie (Dave) bought two from Marine Depot and they both were bad. Dave says their customer service is not good at all. I can vouch for Neptunes customer service, it is great and you usually deal with the owner Curt, atleast I think he is the owner. I have dealt with him several times and have always been treated very fairly with a very quick response. I talked the guy who started that thread (Doug) to send his back (and get a neptune) mainly because people in the club can help him. But after what Dave has said I will not be saying it doesn't mean Reefkeepers aren't good, because it sounds like they may not be very good. So get Neptune. Not to mention I have free software (for cluib members). Neptunes software isn't the greatest, although the Apex version looks much better.
    As far as which one. You can control the AC3 from the web, the pro can control more things and has more inputs. It also alows for an O2 sensor I think. The Apex should be great but I would wait until they get the kinks out. It looks like they are dropping the price on the Pro though as it may replace the straight AC3.
    I didn't know the Apex could send text warnings. The neptune can send email and my software sends email with Graphs. I should add sending text to my software (ReefTrakker) that would be cool for alarms. I need to look into it.
    So all in all my advice is get an AC3, the price should be great right now. Unless you need a crapload of timers (things to control). Actually I have a crapload and the AC3 does just fine. I love it actually.
    This goes for you too Brandon. I swear if you get a ReefKeeper just to be different I will hunt you down! Actually, I don't have too. I know where you live. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/crazy.gif

Neptunes accesories are expensive. Their plug strip (DC8) is $150. I am building an expansion outlet now. They want $40 for them. This is needed if you want to control something that draws more than six Amps. You put an expansion outlet on one of the DC8's outlets and then also plug it into its own circuit. With 400 gallons I need more than 6 amps for my heaters. So I am building my own for about $20.
    Any more questions ..... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wow.gif

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    One thing to add to Joel's post....I've seen DC8's and the two outlet expansion ports on RC for $90 and $20 respectively. They do go quickly, but that's a nice savings over retail.

--AJ

6. ckoeppel

ckoeppel Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the help guys!

7. ckoeppel

ckoeppel Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, I took the plunge and bought the Aquacontroller III Pro.  I also got two temp probes, a conductivity probe, two Ph probes (one lab grade), a DC8 and a wireless adapter.  Now I will just have to figure out how to set it all up.

Joel,

I would love to get some software from you sometime.  Maybe I could make a trip to Des Moines and get some set up pointers from you?  Let me know!

Chris 

8. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You are welcome anytime Chris. But I am in (or actually north of) Boone.
    Dang, I guess you plunged. The software is available anytime you want it at www.reeftrakker.com. I am getting ready to put an LCD monitor in my fishroom so I am thinking of adding a Fishroom monitor screen to RT. It will show the params and the graphs for pH and Temp updated every 5 minutes.
    Chris, my software doesn't display conductivity becuase I have never had anyone use it with a Pro. We may have to work together to solve that.
    IMO the best current feature of RT is the ability to turn any device on/off for a specified number of minutes. No more forgetting about leaving something on. I also have some other really cool planned additions but I can't seem to find the time to build them yet. For one I need to finish the ability for anyone with the software to have their own website showing current params. UI have it about 75% done. But of course mine is the only website that will work right now.
    I am also planning a task list set on frequencies (daily, weekly, monthly etc.) with email reminders. I use a seperate program for that now.
    I would also like to build in some of the reef calculator functionality but we will see if that ever happens. ;0)

9. matt the fiddler

matt the fiddler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    jtesdal, i am very interested in your software too. I do have the full version of aquanotes. (got it before they dropped the price.. sigh)

I have the AC3 and will be downloading yours when I get a chance...

:)

Oh, your webpage is broke now...

10. matt the fiddler

matt the fiddler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    oh yea.. post your DIY circuit when you get the chance.. that is the type of project (once I get my new soldering iron) I would love to take on.

11. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm the webpage works for me (www.reeftrakker.com). Maybe it was a temporary thing.
    The expansion box circuit is easy you just need a 110v relay with 20 amp or larger contacts. I found four new relays in one auction on ebay for $18 shipped. Then you just use a cord to the DC8 on the coil side of the relay and sire up new outlets on the load side of the relay. I can give more detail if necessary. I hardwired a new 4Plex into my wall and used romex to wire into an existing plug. It si working quite awesomely I must say. ;0)