1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Addition of the frag tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gered, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Any fixture that will accept a regular bulb will work just long as the fixture is open. The LED's put off a lot of heat so need to be well ventilated. As far as how many you need my tank is 16x20 and I would say 2 is minimum on it. I think down the road I will add one more. You could get one with a wider angle optic but you will not get the par you want if you are trying to stretch it over a bigger tank. With the narrow optics I have it concentrates the light and penetrates through the water much better. And for hanging I would not let the cord suspend it because these lights are heavy so I would say try and attach the fixture to something.

2. Gered

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Updated shots of the frag tank.  Also gone through a few changes but I am happy with it...for now /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Gorgeous tank, the background's not bad either!  What did you paint the eggcrate with - the black looks great.

4. Gered

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I painted it with krylon but its a pain sense there is so many sides that need painted. I may order a black sheet of it from bulk reef supply a replace this one because I notice some white spots

5. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Love what you've done.  The size is great for those of us who just want a few show frags (and need spousal approval for anything else)!  Are the black stands painted pvc or did you use something else?  I also noticed the mangroves - is connected to a skimmer?

6. Gered

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    There are just 1 1/2 pvc connectors that I used krylon on. And yes this is connected to a skimmer. It is actually plumbed into my entire system which I am running an Octopus 110 DNWB which is an external skimmer.

7. Jay Well-Known ReefKeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Tank looks awesome, cannot wait to get mine going with my Nephew!

8. Gered

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Quick shot of this sense I had the camera out
    [​IMG]

9. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    How well do the mangroves grow under the led lights?

10. Gered

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Seem to be doing pretty good! This summer I am playing with the idea of doing a basic tank for them under natural sunlight. Going to do some more research before I do it but I have always had a green thumb so hoping it should not be too bad.

11. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Please keep us posted on the mangroves.  I have a few I'm playing with and may order more if they can do what some of the articles suggest.

12. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Whats in the shot glass?

13. Gered

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Its a ric with some rubble. Hoping it will get attached