1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

adding to sandbed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tgauger, Jan 12, 2009.

1. tgauger

tgauger Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking of adding some depth to my existing sandbed. Is there anything I need to watch out for? or any tricks to doing this? Or should i just go ahead and dump in the new sand (after rinsing first of course)? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    1/2 an inch at a time, mix with your fingers so the top 1/2 inch of the old mixes in with the top 1/2 inch of the new.

I would wait a week or so before repeating the process.

3. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Another thing is use a cup to add it, place it as close to the bed as you can before pouring.  Do not just pour the sand in or you will get a sand fog in your tank.

4. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've always had good luck cutting a corner off of the bag and rinsing the sand in the bag.... then you just put the whole bag in the tank and pour it out the corner (as close to the sand bed as you can) to avoid a sand storm.

As far as mixing it with the old stuff...I wouldnt think you would want to disturb the sandbed. I always just put it on top and left it so it looks nice and clean. Only do part of the tank, no more than 1/2"- 1" at a time. I agree, wait a week or two in between to be safe.

5. tgauger

tgauger Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the quik replies... any one else have any opinion on mixing with the existing sand versus not? I would prefer not to if only for aesthetic reasons...

6. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't disturb the sand bed either. The new sand will be colonized by your sand bed critters naturally.

7. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    pour that **** in...

8. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have added to my sand bed before. i mixed the new sand with the existing sand in the tank. i had no problems, my sand did not look dirty afterwords either. the older sand was a little discolored before, but my new skimmer recently took care of that.