1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Acrylic Safe Scrubbers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bela, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is about time for me to look into getting some acrylic safe scrubbers (like brushed and magnets) as my tank is getting close to being ready to be filled. Was wondering what type of brushes and stuff you all use on acrylic. I know there are pads and such that can be added to a mage float to make it safe for cleaning acrylic. Ideally I want something magnetic as it is a breeze to clean the walls of my smaller tank with.

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  3. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can you just drop that in and go or do you use a replacable pad?

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Not sure about acrylic, I use mine for glass but it says for it for either. I assume it comes with different pads for glass and acrylic.

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    BTW Jeremy, why do you like this particular one better than others. Stronger magnets? Better scrubbing surface? I've only used the cheapies and never been impressed with them.

--AJ

7. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Well I have a couple nice scratches in my new acrlyic tanks from supposedly acrlyic safe cleaners.

Now the only thing that touches my tanks is a credit card. It works great.

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I own the hammerhead model the magnets in it are so strong you can barely move the darn thing. I have owned several other cheap-o versions and they never worked near as good as these.

I have never owned an acrylic tank so I really can't say how well they work on that material, i know on glass they are awesome.

9. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some people on RC are talking about unscented and detergent free magic erasers. Have any of you used those?

10. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I use magic ereasers every day. They aer a micro fiber of sorts with microscopic pores that work great for light/med abrasive cleaning. The only problem is there is some residual chemical deposits that remain in the sponge. We had a bet a few years ago about this issue at my work. After sampling a few nibbles of a wet ereaser, the jury was out! There are chemicals in them! I use a inexpensive scrub pad from a LFS. I always put my arm in and just do it by hand. That last comment may cost me dearly in the end!LOL

11. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I felt like they had to have SOME chemicals in them. I don't see how they would be a bettet cleaner than a wet sponge without some sort of chemical/ Thanks for the input.