1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Acrylic Builders in Iowa

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Deleted member 397, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Deleted member 397

Deleted member 397 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Greetings -
    Are there any local acrylic tank builders in Iowa, or surrounding states like MN/NE?
    Thanks

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hey Slice,

I had 2 aquariums built by midwest custom aquariums in Mn.

http://www.midwestcustomaquariums.com/

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    How big of a tank are you looking for?

Rick (B-Rad) is our local acrylic guru, but I don't know if he's done any full size tanks.

-JB

4. Deleted member 397

Deleted member 397 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies.

I was considering a tank built by GlassCages, but also wanted to do homework and see if there was someone local 'ish to work with. I did send Midwest Customs an email, so we will see what they have to say.

As for the tank, I am considering building an SPS tank measuring 30"x20"x20".

5. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We thought about it for the library.  But he's a little apprehensive about full size tanks.   I'm sure he could build one fine, but he doesn't want to take the risk.

6. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do some research on Glass cages, they have terrible customer service and a lot of negative feedback...pretty much you're screwed if there is anything wrong with your order.

7. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    didnt b-rad make a frag tank bigger then that awhile ago. he might be willing to make a small tank like that if you ask him.

8. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rick's frag tank was only 8 inches high or so.

9. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The biggest problem with building a tank is getting the edges perfectly flat and smooth. I don't have the tools to do that yet. I've tried sanding them but that just rounds the edges so that wont work for a nice tank.