1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

accident

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fishyness, Apr 20, 2009.

1. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Well we tried to burn down the house. I’ve been having a cyanobacteria problem so was in the tank with a turkey baster trying to get some out. Didn’t think about the filter on the HOB overflow, well it got partially plugged to where the sump was ahead and overflowed the tank, right on the power strips, we were out and came in to a terrible smell. Good thing we were home. To see that this NEVER can happen again we are replacing the tanks with internal overflow. Question is, is there a faster way to swap them out?  Obviously I want the minimum stress for the fish, and the reef tank? Is it a good time to rinse the sand?

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You mean you're going to empty the tank and drill internal overflows? I don't think theres a quick or easy way to do that.......I'd just buy a tank that's already drilled and transfer everything into that. Make sure you mount your power strips up on something like a board or wall (like you don't know that now, lol).

3. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd say the easier solution is to elevate your power strips and plug them in to a GFI outlet so that never happens again...

4. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yes we a re going to buy reef-ready predrilled tanks and swap them out. I must have fried my brain too because I just thought, I have an empty 35, I can just fill it, put the skimmer on and maybe it won't be as stressful for them. A bit crowded, but better than a bucket.... Also the predrilled tanks won't gurgle all the time.....

5. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    mine intake gurgled cause of my elbows so i added a ball valve and cant hear anything now